Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm trying to share more than one folder on the network from a Vista computer, and I dont want to have to go into each stinkin' folder to set the sharing permissions. Is there a way around this without using the Public folder?

For example say another folder is created for the latest patches for games or a utility or something is downloaded somewhere on the hard drive. I dont want to have to run back and forth between computers to grab copies of these things or work with them.

Is there a way to simply share the C drive and all subdirectories, then go to the Windows folder and say NOT share the windows folder and all its subdirectories? And do similar stuff with the other Windoes-imperative foledrs. The point is that most of the stuff on the computer I want access to without having to re-share permissions and all this cr*p for each new folder thats created when new software is installed.

Thanks.

·
Folding Along
2,304 Posts
Not really without compromising your system security. If you share C:/ you open yourself to phishing.

I did share C:/ once on one of my computers, but it was only for an hour one night while I copied files I needed to my new computer.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I dont mind sharing C, but my problem is that when I share C none of it's subfolders are shared. It's like every single folder has to be shared individually. Is there a way to share folder X and all it's subfolders too?

And yeah I get you about the potential security laspe, but I have a network password on each system. I dont mind the hassle of a password, it's the hassle of not being able to move around my network from my computer that really gets to me.

Three computers: my godson, my son and I. And I want to be able to go into their systems to clean up and transfer files and whatnot between all our systems in the background from my computer. Just looking for an easy way to gain access to the folders I want to look at. For example I want access to the Tribes2 (a game) folder on each of their systems, but I dont want to have to go in and also share each of the dozen subfolders individually before I can see them.

Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
how did you share it? did you do it through advanced sharing?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well I'm away from that computer now so I'm going off memory, but as I recall I would find the folder I wanted through My Computer, then right-click and select SHARE or SHARING or something like that from the pop-up menu.

The resulting menu would always show a grayed-out SHARE button on the top half (which I found strange since I wanted to share the folder), so I'd select the ADVANCED SHARING button below it. Then in the sub-menu I'd select FULL or ALL or something like that to allow the other computer access to read write change files.

1. My problem is I'm only able to share one folder at a time through that method. Is there an easier one that automatically includes sub-folders in the sharing process?
  2. Also now I mentioned it, what is that SHARE button for anyway - the one that's always grayed-out? Is that something important?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.