Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sound blaster isn't a real one. Creative palmed off an Ensoniq Audio PCI which uses a legacy device and synthesizer, by putting the Sound Blaster label and name on it. It's a stinking card, which sometimes plays .mid files in two separate key signatures, or turns a note into a screech. Among other delights.

Many of my DOS-based programs that use sound can't find my card, or it isn't configured in a way they expect from an SB. This card put no statements into either config.sys or autoexec.bat when installing. My old SB16 put statements there for me when I installed it.

I have the right statement for config.sys - at least I get no gripes on bootup from its presence. But what is the proper phrasing to load the SB high in DOS, for the autoexec.bat file? I don't understand these tech aspects.

Can someone please help?

Thanks,
Holly B.

·
TSF Security Team, Emeritus
6,962 Posts
It should look something like this...

@echo off
SET SOUND=C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\CTSND
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6

SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\
LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:123
LH C:\MOUSE\MOUSE.EXE
DOSKEY
CLS

SET SOUND= Will be the path to your software for the card.

SET BLASTER= Will be the cards settings...A220 = port address "220", I5 = IRQ 5, D1 = DMA 1 usually. You will need to check the cards specifications as some use Port 210, IRQ 3, and DMA 5.

*Note* Unlike the config.sys file your not loading it into the upper memory block...so you don't need to "LOADHIGH" it. You can however make sure it loads first...so put it's entrys right after the @echo off command.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.