Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered Member
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the GA-970A-D3

i'm wanting to put a 960t in it; the CPU support list says it supports the 960t as of BIOS update F7. the bulldozers only require F6 by comparison.

so how do i know which BIOS update it'll ship out with? more importantly, if i do need to update the BIOS for that processor, how do i update the BIOS without another processor? can i simply download the update onto a flashdrive with my laptop and install from that?

just wanting an idea of what to expect, gonna be building this computer soon

·
Registered Member
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the 960t will be my only cpu for this board since i'm buying it all together. my current pc is an intel laptop.

what can i do if my BIOS is only f6 and i don't have a processor to run on it? this is before building.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
If a Bios update is required for the CPU a CPU that will work with the present Bios is needed to do the Bios update.

·
Registered Member
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
any mobo recommendations then? i've seen some anecdotals of mobos that ran the 960t but they don't mention whether it was a fresh mobo

·
Registered
160 Posts
I don't know if this applies to AMD or that motherboard but I had instances on which a motherboard booted successfully (and therefore updated BIOS) even when using an unsupported (older) BIOS but this with a Sandy bridge CPU.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
7,670 Posts
Yes, it does happen that a board will recognize (correctly or not) and boot with an unsupported CPU. One cannot depend on this happening, though.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
My experience has been the odds are against the unsupported CPU booting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.