Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
Sorry but it appears your system is too old and only has an agp 8x slot , and will not support the 8 series. While upgrading an agp system isn't impossible , it is slower then a pci-e or pci-e 2.0 system.

Also the psu in the system is a basic 300 watt which will not support high end gpu's either. You can still upgrade the machine to a relatively good spec , it will just require a psu also. If you would like to continue to go with the upgrade we can help find a psu video card combination that fits into your budget.

also for reference.
http://www.ciao.com/Gateway_710X_Peak_Performance_P4_3_GHz_17_TFT__10137663

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I didn't figure it'd be cheap, but I just realized that we installed an ATI Radeon 9600 a few years ago, so I might decide to just upgrade some of the other parts.

How hard/expensive would it be to upgrade the psu (if possible?)? Would the low-end psu affect any other upgrades (I'm looking at some RAM, a new Dvd/Cd/Blu-ray drive, and anything that'll help it run a lil faster)?

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
The 300 watt psu will restrict you to only small upgrades. Adding more memory will be fine. So will the blueray drive.

However , the radeon 9600 is not blue ray compatible. Blueray compatible cards are available for your agp slot. But.... Your cpu might struggle with blue ray definition. Since your cpu is a single core pentium 4 , the video may play back very choppy. Even with a blue ray video card.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.