Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to get the Set Program Access and Defaults setting to hold after Microsoft updates are installed?

We use Netscape as our default email and everytime we run Microsoft updates the default changes to Outlook.

This means we have to log in as Administrators to change the setting back. Most all of our users are Restricted users, Some are power users.

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,258 Posts
Hi tkloeden

I'm sorry to report that I've found no elegant solution to your problem: but there is a rather clumsy resolution: to uninstall Outlook itself.

As far as I know (and there are likely techs with more MS Office experience out there), if you have Outlook installed on the computers, and you employ Microsoft Update to keep up to date (which I consider a sound practice in today's computing environment) - you will have to manually change the default behavior back [whenever a Microsoft Update has altered the default - thankfully, this doesn't happen that often.

If you aren't using Outlook's email (or any of its other functions), you can choose to uninstall it - this won't affect the smooth-running of the rest of your Office programs. And Microsoft Updates will not change your default email behavior, since Outlook will no longer be present. The update problem doesn't seem to change the default to Outlook Express when Outlook isn't present - it should stay Netscape.

If another tech has a solution that allows the MS Updates to run automatically & not affect the default email - even with Outlook installed - that solution is going to be quite popular. There is quite a lot of discussion on this topic on the Internet.

Best of luck
. . . Gary

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gary - Thank you for your response to my problem.

I'm so frustrated with this problem I forgot to mention the most important piece of information, that being the mail default gets changes within office, so I think I need Outlook to be installed.

In Word or Excel if you go to Send To, it should launch Netscape email, but after the Microsoft updates it launches Outlook until I login into the machine as Administrator and go into SPAD and reclick on Netscape.

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,258 Posts
Hi again

Yes, what you describe seems to be common headache for many Office users.

It sounds like Outlook is installed, since it is called up after the updates take effect. Is it OK in your work environment to completely uninstall just Outlook from your computer? That should work, and would leave Netscape as the tool called up automatically from the other MS Office programs.

The instructions to uninstall just Outlook --- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/257667 --- The instructions for Windows 2000 in that article are very similiar to what you'd do on Windows XP. I believe the uninstall procedure is similiar for Office 2003 as well.

I believe Netscape duplicates all the functionality of Outlook, so you should be fine with it -- but it's up to the management at your organization to make the policies.

It would help if MS would make a more reasonably behaved update patch once and a while, huh!

Best of luck
. . . Gary

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried uninstalling Outlook, but when I tried to send to from within word all the options were grayed out.

I'll try it again following the directions you reference.

Thanks for your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.