Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got all the OS versions and serials free from my college and installed both
win 7 and 8 on my notebook.

Now I've put up a rig and installed win 7 but I can't activate it cos I can't find my installation key from the notebook, I tried various software for this, for example Belarc advisor, jellybean, Win key finder, etc. but all they bring up is product key and in best case apparently what is last 5 characters of the true installation key.

To put it short, I've got a legal key but I can't figure out how to get it from the notebook, how am I supposed to do this?

Note: I'm talking about the installation key, the serial to install windows 7 professional, not a product key that does nothing for installing windows.

·
Microsoft-Team Manager , Hardware - Team Manager
68,800 Posts
Why not ask the college since they gave it to you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I graduated already and the email account containing all those serials has been disabled. Back to the original question shall we?

edit: The keys must still be legit on the notebook, genuine check goes through. I just have no rights with the college anymore so asking them to fix this for me is no option.

·
Microsoft-Team Manager , Hardware - Team Manager
68,800 Posts
I suggested it because you have used the software I would have suggested

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've tried Microsoft's MGADIAG.exe, different commands to bring the serial forth but it only shows a partial serial, last 5 characters.

The fix may be a very uncommon one, perhaps to do with registry? Anyone?

·
Premium Member
19,585 Posts
most operating systems you purchase while in school are not transferable to another computer.

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
1,200 Posts
I've tried Microsoft's MGADIAG.exe, different commands to bring the serial forth but it only shows a partial serial, last 5 characters.

The fix may be a very uncommon one, perhaps to do with registry? Anyone?
The last-5 character is by design - to prevent piracy.
MGADiag by design will only publish at most the last 15 characters, anyhow.
This is enough to individualise most Keys without making it possible to crack them.
There is NO FIX for a blocked Key - MS never unblock one.

KMS Keys are universally-published, but require access to an institution's private server. without that access the Key is valueless.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.