Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How do I disable the "smoothness" when scrolling in the new Notepad in Windows 11?
It completely kills my productivity.

I hope there is just a simple registry entry or such.
I would be very thankful for any solution, though I kind of wish to not change to a third party app or an outdated Notepad version.

· Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,279 Posts
Follow the below steps to disable the smooth scrolling and check if it helps.
  1. Go to Search and type sysdm.cpl and press Enter.
  2. In the System Properties window Click on the Advanced tab
  3. Click on Settings button under Performance
  4. In Visual Effects tab of Performance Options window, click the Custom radio button.
  5. Uncheck Smooth-scroll list boxes.

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. Sadly none of then removed the scroll-smoothing of the Notepad.

This changed the behavior of the scrolling everywhere, but not Notepad and some other Apps.

Follow the below steps to disable the smooth scrolling and check if it helps.
  1. Go to Search and type sysdm.cpl and press Enter.
  2. In the System Properties window Click on the Advanced tab
  3. Click on Settings button under Performance
  4. In Visual Effects tab of Performance Options window, click the Custom radio button.
  5. Uncheck Smooth-scroll list boxes.
This didn't do anything at all at Notepad. Nothing changed, but thanks for the sysdm.cpl advice, there are some really good things that I didn't know of!
I think this setting changed the behavior of scrolling in many other places, but not Notepad.

I really hope that this "smooth" scrolling is not coming from the Notepad App itself.
It seems like, the new Apps are completely unaffected and separate from any Windows setting.
It kind of seems like it, because in my Edge, Task Manager, and many other Apps there is not such behavior ("smooth" scrolling), while this behavior happens in certain "Microsoft Store" Apps, such as Notepad and the Settings App.
If that is the case, it needs to be changed in the App itself, but there is no such setting at all.

· Registered
5,469 Posts
Apparently MS is "working on it" and suggests that you keep updating the Notepad app until it gets it right.

I just skimmed through a devblog where some software engineers were talking about this. It seems that MS has implemented a new coding strategy in Notepad for Win 11. After discussing what they didn't like about the new Win 11 Notepad for a hundred pages or so the thread's participants decided to just scrap it and go with the third-party replacement Notepad++ instead.

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Apparently MS is "working on it" and suggests that you keep updating the Notepad app until it gets it right.

I just skimmed through a devblog where some software engineers were talking about this. It seems that MS has implemented a new coding strategy in Notepad for Win 11. After discussing what they didn't like about the new Win 11 Notepad for a hundred pages or so the thread's participants decided to just scrap it and go with the third-party replacement Notepad++ instead.

Thanks, that is a good information.
About Notepad++ though, I already use it, but I use the normal Notepad for actual Notes.
Notepad++ is too professional and kind of too specific for file editing in that case.

· Registered
5,469 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm guessing that would work, but I really tried to not use outdated software anymore.
Seems there is no solution to disable the smooth scroll in the new Notepad.

· Registered
118 Posts

IMHO, Microsloth is far more interested in new features than apps or Windoze working as they should.

And the more I see and I hear about 11, the more I dislike it. I figure a couple more years and it might be ready for beta testing.

· Registered
5,469 Posts
IMHO, Microsloth is far more interested in new features than apps or Windoze working as they should.
And the more I see and I hear about 11, the more I dislike it. I figure a couple more years and it might be ready for beta testing.
Nearly every gaming forum I'm on has nothing but complaints from Win 11 users who are now finding their games stuttering, and crashing.

I am perfectly OK with Win 10. I'll probably start thinking about a new build about the time Win 10 reaches actual end of life. I say "actual" because as things now stand it's almost certainty not going to be when Microsoft wants it to be. Only 15% of systems are currently running Win 11 and it's been out for an entire year. After the initial small surge in Win 11 "upgrades" with people trying out the new OS, Win 11 use pretty much flat-lined among Win 10 users (see link below). The small growth in Win 11 use since then appears to be old Win 7 and 8 systems that are finally being retired and replaced with new OEM systems that have Win 11 pre-installed.

I've been using computers since the early 70s (has anyone here seen an Army FADAC) and have at least tried out almost every Windows upgrade. Pretty much every other major Win upgrade has been not worth the effort to change to. This probably means that Win 11 will quickly go the way of Win 8 and it will be Win 12 that everyone wants.

Office equipment Gas Machine Electronic device Metal

· Registered
118 Posts
I may have seen a FADAC, it would have been mid 1970's. I also saw how Army AG was already using antique computers. Around 1972, I was a teen volunteer in a hospital and they had IBM terminals at every department and nursing station; how patients got checked in, and all orders entered for tests, meds, etc. I was already interested in computers; that increased my interest.

I call Windoze 11 the New 8. Such a smelly pile of bugs and bad GUI design. As a programmer years ago, I specialized in making easy to use interfaces as I came to understand that otherwise, end users, such as account managers in big banks, wouldn't touch the systems written for them unless they were very easy to use. First 2 computers I ever bought were Amiga's, far better then the early IBM PC's I sometimes had to use.

We have one 11 based laptop, a warranty replacement for one that ran 10. First thing I added was Start11, which hides some of the worst of 11. We recently had a huge problem - video cutting out every 15 seconds or so - Microsloth October updates were apparently not compatible with fairly recent Nvidia drivers. The laptop came with 11 22H2 installed, sadly. A new heap of bugs on top of the previous 11 and older bugs. I know, each new Windoze version or feature update (besides one like the supposed 10 22H2 nothing update) is essentially an Alpha release, moving towards Beta quality after 6 to 24 months.

I quickly found 11 to be nasty. The destroyed task bar. The removed toolbars including QuickLaunch. The incompatibilities with lots of older software that was fine under 10. The TPM 2 that, as I understand it, is not encrypted and adds little or nothing to security. 11 was clearly released years before it was ready, IMHO. Like you, I hope that 12 undoes a lot of the mess from 11.

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I am using 22H2 and it's a complete catastrophe.
Recently I created a list of things that don't work like they did in 21H2, but I got tired of always writing things down, because they were so many.

Literally, in every single detail is something not working correctly, or acting weirdly.
It's a complete surprise what happens next. Right now all my desktop icons are broken and show weird icons of randrom software.

Before that, I had a Explorer window in front of all other windows, and I simply couldn't get it behind other windows.
When I minimized it, it became small, and when I clicked it back, it just got into front of all other windows again.
Other thing that I got is, I have a folder that I always keep in "small icons" view, and it always changes back to "details" view for no reason at all.
Sometimes my Explorer freezes, restarts and all desktop icons are scattered around.
My USB devices get randomly disconnected and reconnect.
Talking about USB devices: I can't safely eject them anymore. I need to do a full shutdown for that, or just take the risk and unplug it.
I have a folder with about 200 mixed files. Explorer takes about 2 seconds to open it, and if I try clicking while these 2 seconds, it will crash the whole Explorer, and guess what - scatter the whole desktop icons again all around.

The text above, you think it is from 1 month experience? Or from 1 week?
No. It is what happened TODAY.
None of this behavior was in 21H2, all worked flawless before.

I can't believe that I am still on 22H2. I should have rolled back already days ago.

· Team Manager, Microsoft Support
33,576 Posts
After reviewing your "problems", let's take a look at your System Specs. Even though there are minimums for Windows 11, higher resources are often needed for full use.

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the link, but there is nothing that really applies to me.

Drivers for hardware, games and apps will only work if they're designed for a Windows 11 Arm-based PC
I am only using software that came natively with Windows 11.
Adding to this I am using some non-ARM software: WinRAR, Microsoft Office, Notepad++. Ironically these are the only programs that still run without problems after updating to 22H2.

Certain games won’t work
I don't play games on this device.

Apps that customize the Windows experience might have problems
I am using a native, clean Windows installation without any tweaking.

Some third-party antivirus software can’t be installed
I am using Defender.

Windows Fax and Scan isn’t available
Already realized that. What a shame.

It is the 22H2 update, nothing else is wrong.
Not even Windows 11 is the problem. After updating from Windows 10 to Windows 11 all worked fine. At that time Samsung even recommended getting Windows 11 after it released.
Until a few days ago, before I updated to 22H2, all was working flawless, and now I encounter weird behavior, broken software in every single thing I do.
And to be exact, I think it is the new Explorer that is broken. About 9 of 10 things that are wrong with my laptop, the Explorer is the reason.
It's funny, because the new Explorer with these fancy tabs is the actual reason why I got 22H2 in the first place.

· Team Manager, Microsoft Support
33,576 Posts
You have an 8 Core Processor. There have been some problems solved for Windows 11 by disabling some of the cores. I'm not suggesting doing that. I am suggesting you be patient until more bugs are worked out. I was skeptical at first, but now believe the Microsoft alternate versions of Windows theory might apply to 11. Like 98 good,ME bad,XP good, Vista bad, 7 good, 8 and 8.1 bad, 10 good.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts