Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a file that seems to exist, but I can’t delete. I created it as a.txt with a long-ish file name (76 chars) as a reminder, but it now has no extension & is zero bytes. When I try & delete it I get the msg: “Cannot delete …. Cannot find the specified file”. I can’t open it and the properties doesn’t give me much info.

It’s on a drive (h:) that’s sync’d to a network and only appears when I’m not connected to the network. This makes it difficult to use things like ccleaner, deletefxpfiles, chkdsk etc.

I’ve tried deleting it from a command line (tells me it doesn't exist) in safe cmd mode (couldn't log on) deleting the folder and a bunch of other things … but no joy.

Any ideas?

Jedzi

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion. If you mean re-sync'ing - yep I've done that loads of times. (I can't see another way of refreshing).

Jedzi

·
Registered
655 Posts
its 0 bytes lol..taking up 0 bytes of your hard drive..unless your hdd is 0 bytes...no worries.

You could just right click, properties and hide it

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You're right that it's completely irrelevant space-wise.

However it means I can't copy the folder it sits in (which I do fairly often as an extra back-up of other files).

It also sometimes causes syncing to fail (as it can't find or delete the file) so it's actually a right pain.

Jedzi

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tried that ... but I can't log on in Safe Mode (it's not my laptop, so I don't have full admin rights).

Jedzi

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, new to the board. I'm actually having the exact same problems as this guy, and I too cannot restart in safe mode due to the fact that I don't have full admin rights. Any other suggestions?

Edit: Mine's not a text file though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In the end I had to re-sync the drive. Probably best to look at the thread I posted on one of the microsoft Usenet forums. Try searching the XP & XP support forums for 'zero byte file'.

Jedzi

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.