Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to block access to a specific website across my entire home network. I'd prefer to do it from one location, rather than on each computer. I have a WRH54G Linksys wireless router; I heard that I can access some central control there to block websites; but I've tried many password combos without success ([none]/admin; [none]/Admin; admin/[none]; Admin/[none]; admin/admin; Administrator/admin; Administor/Admin; ) etc. I'd prefer not to pay for anything, if possible. How do I do this?

I'm using Vista, but I'd like this to work on XP (pro, SP2/SP3) as well. I'd like this to work for IE6, IE7, <strong>and</strong> IE8 if possible...definately IE 6 and IE7. If it works for Firefox or Chrome, all the better.

Thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Step 1: Click the Start button and select Run. Now type the following text in that Run box:

notepad c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Step 2: You will see a new notepad window on your screen containing some cryptic information. Don’t panic. Just goto the last line of the file, hit the enter key and type the following:

127.0.0.1 orkut.com
127.0.0.1 facebook.com
127.0.0.1 myspace.com

Save the file and exit. That’s it. None of the above sites will now open on your computer.

You can block as many websites as you like with the above technique. If you want to remove the ban later, open the same file as mentioned in Step 1 and delete the above lines.
i think it will work somebody told me abt this but i havn't tried it myself coz i m a adult :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
It is not browser specific. That file pretty much is telling your computer that whenever the site orkut.com (or whatever) is trying to be accessed it will look to the IP address 127.0.0.1 for that site. 127.0.0.1 is a logical IP address for your local computer. So when you go to orkut.com it will try to find that website from your local computer and of course not be able to locate it and will return an Error 404 webpage.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Well just use the hosts file again but instead of 127.0.0.1 type in the IP address for the site you want.
If you need the IP address, open the command prompt and type nslookup website.com. Keep in mind some sites occasionally change their IP addresses from time to time.

Remember the change to the hosts file has to be applied to every computer you want to apply this behavior to.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Oops! I misread that. You'd probably have to run Internet Information Server (add/remove programs, add/remove windows components, add web server), run the server, then put main.html into the root directory of the server (I forget what it's called but it's in your root directory). You may have to rename it index.html too, not sure. Then for the hosts files, you'd type the private IP address of your computer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.