Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put a new ATI x800 XL Video card in my computer about 5 days ago. Everything was working fine but i realized to take advantage of the new card I'd need to upgrade my ram. I ordered 3 new geil 512 mb pc3200 ddr ram sticks to go along with the one I have. Upon rebooting after adding all the ram, there were black horizontal lines going through the asus mb splash screen. After it went away and the booting text came up (press del to enter bios, ram check, etc.) there were red horizontal lines through the entire screen, a few lines every inch or so. Then when xp started loading the lines went away but half the text was blocks instead of letters. When the windows graphics came up there were white lines and I could see my desktop but after a few seconds the screen went black and the computer stopped responding. Each time i rebooted after that I got the same lines and a blue error screen when windows started loading. Starting windows in safe mode resulted in the same problem I got the first time. I tried going back to the single stick of ram that I started with but still had the same problem. The only way to fix it was going back to my old video card (raedon 9800, 128mb).

I now have all 4 sticks of ram in and the old video card installed, everything is running fine. The only thing I can figure is somehow the video card was damaged when I installed the ram. It doesnt even work now in the exact configuration it was working with this morning (1 stick of ram). I tried the video card in my other computer and got the same errors. I should be able to exchange the video card so hopefully a new one fixes the problem. Power supply should be enough to run it all, 420 watts.

My two questions, are there any suggestions on how I can fix the problem without exchanging the video card; and did I do something wrong when installing the ram? I removed the plug from the back of the psu and grounded myself, I figured that would be enough.

Any suggesions appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
the videocard could be damage indeed but you can try installin a different videocard driver and see if that helps out. if you do, download "driver cleaner" from www.majorgeeks.com and install it on your computer.

there should be instructions that comes with it on how to properly uninstall the current videocard drivers and install the new ones. good luck and post back if you have more problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im pretty sure its nothing to do with the driver. The errors start as soon as the computer is booted, long before windows ever starts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The new video card worked originally with 1 stick of ram. It didnt work with 4 sticks, so I went back to the original configuration of 1 stick of ram and had the same problems. I tried a 480 watt power supply with just the one stick of ram and the new video card and still had the same problems. The video card has to have gotten damaged, I just dont know how.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.