Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone!

Here's the story: taught by recent sad experience with malware (it damaged my XP completely), I decided to buy some internet security pack to avoid having such adventures in future.

Having read several tests/reviews, I opted for Norton (2009), and googled up where I could buy it. And here my doubts started.

That's the Symantec website:

http://www.symantecstore.com/dr/sat...0&CUR=826&DSP=&PGRP=0&ABCODE=&CACHE_ID=196236

And that's the deals you can get on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...w?ie=UTF8&qid=1243346000&sr=8-4&condition=new

Of course I'd love to save money, but I don't understand how it's possible they sell it (sealed, new) for less than 1/3 of the producer's price.

Hence my noobie question is - okay where's the catch? Is there something fishy about it? Is it some different version (nothing in the product description implies that)? Is it because it's only licensed for 1 user? But they would still seem to lose money by selling it (14.05*3 = 42.15, 42.15 < 49.99), and how come every of these 3 users can get his own product box, his own physical CD etc. :) (you see what I mean)

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
That isn't sold by Amazon it is sold by a third party someone who has already acquired it and is trying to sell it. The 3 user package is more expensive than a 1 user package. And they aren't necessarily losing money by selling it at a low price, you don't know how they got it in the first place, they might have gotten it free. Like i get Microsoft products for free when i do play testing for them and i sell the stuff for way less than what Microsoft sells it for, but i still make a profit (and a quick sale in most cases). I've always had good experiences with Amazon they tend to protect the buyer if they aren't satisfied with what they bought.

·
Retired Mod.
4,479 Posts
lorjack does that applies to games too? I found a bf2 complete collection and it was cheaper than the one in stores...on ebay it was 16 bucks(more than 10 available) and on ea downloader it is 30 bucks.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Zealex..... Amazon Marketplace is far more trustworthy than ebay. Just make sure you check the seller's reputation and customer reviews before buying anything.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
There is no guarantee that what you buy from a third party will be legit or be as advertised. It doesn't matter what it is they are selling. Generally, if your getting it from companies then it will be OK but if it is from individual people i like to play the skeptic. It also depends on where it is your doing the transaction. Ebay doesn't protect the buyer if they get cheated like Amazon does.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is no guarantee that what you buy from a third party will be legit or be as advertised. It doesn't matter what it is they are selling. Generally, if your getting it from companies then it will be OK but if it is from individual people i like to play the skeptic.
The seller I bought it from (for 14 GBP) had 324 ratings, out of which 97% positives and just 1% negs.
For a >2/3 price reduction, I reckoned the risk is worth giving it a go.
I haven't received the software yet, but I will let know in this thread in case it turns out there's something wrong with it.
Thanks all for replies.

·
Premium Member
19,892 Posts
from what I have seen in the past, a lot of times, it is excess software because of a recent release of a newer edition or a newer edition is about to be release.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay I got the program. Well so where's the catch, it is just a CD (sealed & a product key), no box no manual etc.
"For distribution only with a new PC, hardware peripheral or operating system" - it says on the disk :) that's the whole mystery then.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
What you have is OEM software - Original Equipment Manufacturer, this type of software is released by the companies and is intended for installation on a new computer only. OEM tends to come with minimum packaging and most OEM software can only be purchased with hardware. You cannot buy OEM off the shelf from a general computers store. The price you see at the higher cost is the full retailers version which sits on the shop shelves which will come fully boxed with instructions and full support from the manufacturers.

For more info on OEM read here ~> Original equipment manufacturer

·
Part Time Repair Tech
1,267 Posts
I read that OEM versions of Windows are tied to one machine (the motherboard actually). I wonder if you retire that machine and then install the OEM version of Windows on another machine if it can be validated. Perhaps when you try to register it within 30 days the registration fails?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.