Tech Support banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an email account with my Internet Provider, Eir.ie and they are now withdrawing their free email service and I only have a few days to make other arrangements.
Presently I receive the mails through Thunderbird.
I would like to know, please, how to move everything, mails, address book, local folders etc., to a new email account.
I have existing occasionally used accounts with Outlook and GMail, and would like to know if there is another free email service that would be better suited to the transfer.
I need to find the easiest method as I am not very good at tech.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am trying to open another gmail account.
Very little was imported into the first one.
Some emails from the inbox, but no address book or anything else.
I wonder is it because I get everything through Thunderbird and there would be very little on
the Eir server.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are already in Thunderbird.
I am trying to get them to gmail as per Aptus recommendation in your earlier reply.

·
Windows Tech Team
1,073 Posts
And once you get what you need set up for Gmail, either stick with their webmail interface, which is very good, or obtain the TbSync add-on for Thunderbird so that Contacts and Calendar (if you're using it) will be kept in sync with your Google account. TbSync allows you to select what you wish to sync with your Google account that's also in Thunderbird.

·
Windows Tech Team
1,073 Posts
By the way, that previous article is focused on how you can access outside mail accounts from within Gmail, but not on transferring existing content over.

If the existing account will be around, even for a short while, I'd follow those instructions after having set up a Gmail filter on incoming mail saying to copy all messages to Gmail when they're initially being downloaded (presuming you were using IMAP access, of course).

There are a number of ways this might be approached, but your messages in Thunderbird are not going to disappear even after the account at eircom is no longer available. Thunderbird will then just give failure messages when it attempts to connect to it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks britechguy.
I am grateful to you and spunk.funk for taking the trouble to reply.
I would be happy if everything stayed in Thunderbird, and I could easily make
arrangements for new mails.
It would be a little bit inconvenient having to write to everyone about a new email
address but not such a big deal really.

·
Windows Tech Team
1,073 Posts
If that's an arrangement you can live with then I'd just set up your Gmail account in Thunderbird.

There is the question, though, of how the old account was being accessed. Check your account settings in Thunderbird and confirm whether it is using an IMAP server or POP server for the eir.ie address. That will determine whether you need to do anything to actually move messages within Thunderbird to a local folder to ensure that you have message bodies that get saved.

I am actually somewhat surprised that your email service provider did not provide migration instructions. Verizon here in the USA did something very similar a couple of years ago, but shut down their email services entirely. They had a system in place where you could migrate to another email service provider (AOL) but also keep your existing verizon.com address and all your messages as well.

·
Registered
40,767 Posts
The instructions are to migrate your account to Gmail or other service, so that you have your old Email, Contacts list etc from the past. You still have to notify everyone in your contacts list that you changed your Email address. Your old ISP will forward your mail for a month or so, after that you will not receive any Email from your old address

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Many thanks.
The Eir.net service seems to have stopped.
Server setting is pop.eircom.net
Well done to Verizon for treating their customers so much better.

·
Windows Tech Team
1,073 Posts
Well, if you were getting messages via POP they are all stored, in their entirety, in Thunderbird's file on your computer.

Even if you can't get to that account anymore, nothing that's already there will go away unless you were to actually delete that account yourself. Otherwise it can serve as an archive.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I mentioned earlier that I had followed Aptus instructions for transferring Eir account to GMail.
Very little was transferred and the address book didn't transfer, probably because most of the file is on Thunderbird.
Only messages from July 13th onwards transferred to the GMail account.
I now find that Eir are sending new messages to the GMail account.

The position now is that I have the working GMail account for receiving Eir mails, although without address book, and the Thunderbird account, with address book, although no longer active for receiving mails.

I would like to know, please, what the best way is of going forward from here.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am not getting any new mails in GMail.
A message this evening says, mails from this account have not been retrieved since 28th July.
Details: Could not determine server.
I note that I am still able to send messages from the Eir account in Thunderbird, but it will not retrieve anything.
Keeps asking for the password before attempting retrieve but inserting password does not achieve anything.

·
Windows Tech Team
1,073 Posts
Well, has Eir actually shut down their incoming mail server? If they have, Gmail can't retrieve anything.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK.
Thanks.
I will check with them but they are closed now.
They are still delivering new mails that I create in Thunderbird.

·
Windows Tech Team
1,073 Posts
Just remember that the incoming and outgoing servers are two separate beasts. Also double check in Thunderbird to see what outgoing server is actually being used. If they both belong to Eir they'll both likely eventually be gone, but not necessarily simultaneously.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts