Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two identical hard drives in my computer, C and D.

The Windows is on C, while D is empty. I want to unplug D, but how can I tell which one is which by looking at them inside the case?

·
retired
1,966 Posts
The one at the end of the data cable is C drive (master position) and the one on the middle connection is D drive (slave position).

Be sure to unplug the computer and wait 30 seconds before removing any cables-letting residual power drain off.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
If the drives are different brands you can check in the BIOS (press del to at startup) which drive is the primary master and which one is the secondary master. Then refer to the motherboard manual or look on the motherboard itself to see which cable is on the primary IDE controller and which is on the secondary IDE controller. Usually the sytem drive should be the primary master.

Note that it won't do any harm to your system if you remove the wrong one, you'll simply get a system disk error message at startup.

As Stu_computer said unplug the power cord before removing the drive, the motherboard remains powered when the computer is off and the power cable still attached.

·
retired
1,966 Posts
justpassingby said:
Note that it won't do any harm to your system if you remove the wrong one, you'll simply get a system disk error message at startup.
u got a sata,
i answered for pata,
but like justpassingby says,
it doesn't really matta. :grin:

There's a 50% chance you get it right the first time.
(I'll bet it's the one that feels warmer.)

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Just remove the cable from one of the drives and then try to boot the computer, If it does not boot and gives an error that it can not find the hard drive then you have disconnected drive C: if it boots then you have disconnected the drive D: when you have found this mark them with a magic marker.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
If it's SATA ideally the system drive should be on the SATA1 port. As Thor said, unplug one and see if Windows still boots to know which one you've unplugged.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Go to START>right click on my computer>management>disk management...

That little application will tell you what is what, however you may have a bit of a problem if you have identical HD's, I'm not so sure how that will be displayed...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"When you're hot, you're hot!"

I went for the pick one and see what happens method. And I nailed it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.