Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey lads,

Here's a doozy for you. Attached is an image detailing my Seagate 200GB drive. It's been plauging me with bad sectors and the like recently, forcing me to do chkdsks very frequently to fix corrupted files.

This evening I was clearing the drive, putting all the stuff on media and other drives, when a large 6.5GB folder just went missing Just disappeared without warning or reason. A few others went missing, but I have since recovered them using chkdsk a number of times.

Now here's the real issue. As you can see in the attached image, the things circled in blue represent the drive telling me this folder still exists and still takes up space. While those things circled in red indicate the drive telling me it no longer exists.

So yes, I'm out of ideas as to how I could recover this folder, It's the only thing left I haven't recovered so I know what it is, and it's of significant importance.

Any ideas and suggestions would be _greatly_ appreciated, I'd love to get these files before I format the drive.

Bonus question:
Will the formatting of the drive fix potentially bad sectors, or is that indicative of a drive on its last legs?

Regards

Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
Ok here's how it works.
When you format a drive and use it for file storage the drive itself grabs a small portion of the drive for house keeping, stuff like the directory, file allocation table and the likes.

On a 200 gig drive 6.5 gig for house keeping I would consider normal (based on the size of the pie wedge.)

So, based on the information you have supplied. I would consider the drive to be empty.

Bonus answer:

chkdsk, scandisk, format, etc etc can be used to isolate bad sectors and lock them out.

However that said if the drive is failing at the rate you have implied I'd be inclined to bin it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
to answer your original question - slave the disk onto another system and try handyrecovery.com

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Another possible saving grace. Download and run the drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility under my signature area and see if you can repair some of those things in there. What can you lose?

·
Registered
161 Posts
what can you lose? how about the files he's trying to recover?:smile:

trying to repair the disk might work - but in the process you're inevitably writing to the disk. If it doesn't work you've just reduced the odds of getting those files back even more.

File recovery software doesn't write to the disk for this very reason. I'd first try the recovery route THEN try the repair root.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I managed to recover the 6.5GB of files (which was the files I thought, not directory, file allocation files etc) with GetDataBack. I formatted the drive, but seatools still reports bad sectors, so I'll have to replace it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.