Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to record a phone call. I will not have time to buy any equipment for this( except for something from radio shack possibly, I need to know if its possible using my computer and phone line.
I was thinking it might be possible to:

stick phone line into my computer modem, stick phone into other port in my modem. Make call and record some how?

Also I have a crappy onboard sound card, but it does have a line in, im pretty sure. Anyway I can directy record from the phone to that? Can i stick stick a wire in my headset port, and then put that wire into the line in on my pc?

Anyone have any ideas about this?

Is there anything in windows that would let me do this? The line in thing in the sound mixer, or does the dialer do this?

If not, is there something I could buy from Radio shack that would let me do this.

Also i have a mp3 player that can record from line in if that helps.

·
Registered
722 Posts
You could get one of those rubber-sucker thingys with a microphone in it [from Radio Shack] and plug it into the line-in [set to auto record if possible otherwise you'll have to do it manually each time] and thwack the sucker bit onto the side of the headphones. Well, that's how they do it in some old films I've seen.[BTW, isn't there some law about this....that you have to notify the person your'e speaking to first...maybe not????] Anyway good luck. :grin:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good Idea, also my mp3 player has a line in like I said but i cant figure out how to use it. What do i stick in there? A mic wont fit.

·
Registered
722 Posts
You need a microphone with a jack plug on the other end of the wire.Same size as the mic input socket.[or line-in socket.] Unless you want to mess around with wires and dismantle things, that would be the best route. [as far as I know.] :smile:

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Different states have different laws in reguards to recording a phone converstaion without the consent of the other party.

Please check the laws in your state before proceeding with the process.

·
Registered
9 Posts
advice

If you do proceed with a computer solution, make sure that your modem is voice-compatible.

I had a phone once that had a standard headset jack. You could just patch that jack into a radio or your microphone jack on your computer. It won't interfere with the microphone part of the headset jack.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a program called SoniClear Recorder Pro - I have made it available on my website

http://webzoom.freewebs.com/overkill/Downloads/SoniClearRP40Install.exe

This is the trial version, and cannot be found...elsewhere...due to its rarity. With my sound card (not sure about others), you can record "What U Hear". If you can place a phone call through your computer (which I remember being available with earlier versions of windows), you should be able to record the audio coming out of your speakers. I also suggest that you PM me, and I can even help you out with placing a phone call if necessary.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41362&item=5774276568&rd=1
that phone also has the capacity to record calls, and then save them as messages on your answering machine. You can play them back on speakerphone from the handset (not the base) as you transcribe the call, take notes, whatever.

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
radio shack...voice actuated recorder (mini-casette), power supply, some tapes, and a little device they have for hooking it all up to the phone jack..it works, trust me.. :grin:

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
You could always try one of those microphone deals into the input of your computer- the only catch would be that you'd need to put the microphone on an extension and then use a different handset to make the call. Not too much of a big deal.

Then use a program like Audacity (excellent) to record the call.

Phone Dialer still exists in XP under accessories->communications. You could use this with audacity too, just select "mixed output" as your recording device. You'd still need a microphone in order to talk to your grandmother though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.