Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a gigabyte ga1100 motherboard and lately when i have the rams in the dual layer slots my computer shutts down after a while.i tried to put only one of them and the computer works.i run memtest and its all ok,but when i put themtogether as a dual layer the memtest programme keep sending me messages of error.can anyone tell me if i can put the rams to work on a single layer and if i cant whats maybe the problem? thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
:smooch:
tasospas said:
i have a gigabyte ga1100 motherboard and lately when i have the rams in the dual layer slots my computer shutts down after a while.i tried to put only one of them and the computer works.i run memtest and its all ok,but when i put themtogether as a dual layer the memtest programme keep sending me messages of error.can anyone tell me if i can put the rams to work on a single layer and if i cant whats maybe the problem? thank you

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

the memory you have will probally run in single channel mode / memory sticks must be matching pairs (same maker, size, model number & individual memory chip matches) that why dual channel kits are sold in pairs. Just pair a dual channel kit unfortuantely is not enough either ! you need to go to the memory manufacturers website (crucial, corsair, OCZ) and use their memory configurator or selector and find kits for your mobo model.

now to achieve single channel operation / you only have to move the sticks into the correct slots / generally mobo makers color the slots one set blue and one set black but the memory into one of each colored slot i.e. put a stick in a blue slot and put a stick in a black slot (see mobo manual)

but remember there is a significant performance loss when using single channel mode / you will notice a big diff when you get the board to run in dual channel mode

regards

joe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
linderman said:
Welcome to TSF:

the memory you have will probally run in single channel mode / memory sticks must be matching pairs (same maker, size, model number & individual memory chip matches) that why dual channel kits are sold in pairs. Just pair a dual channel kit unfortuantely is not enough either ! you need to go to the memory manufacturers website (crucial, corsair, OCZ) and use their memory configurator or selector and find kits for your mobo model.

now to achieve single channel operation / you only have to move the sticks into the correct slots / generally mobo makers color the slots one set blue and one set black but the memory into one of each colored slot i.e. put a stick in a blue slot and put a stick in a black slot (see mobo manual)

but remember there is a significant performance loss when using single channel mode / you will notice a big diff when you get the board to run in dual channel mode

regards

joe

thank you very much my firend.i ll try to do what you say and see if anything happens.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I had the same problem,use them as single sticks,no problems,try them as a pair and they wouldn't work,single or dual channel.

If it's cheap ram,you'll have to cut your losses and buy a name brand,as I did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.