Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a novice with web pages, and I'm creating my own simple site for my business. Essentially it's a few pages designed with FrontPage 2003. At the bottom of each page, I have the site navigation links. The problem I'm having is that this line shifts vertically either up or down depending on which page I'm on. How can I get this to stay stable? I created tables for my pages (which are pretty much all text). Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
625 Posts
@ Pickngrin: Set the table at a fixed hight, thereby securing the appearence of the page & your links at the bottom. This has the downsite that if the text is more than the fixed hight you have to use scrollbars to be able to read the whole text.

May I ask why the navigation links are the bottom? For a business it is better (I think) to make a somewhat conservative website, thereby placing the navigation links at the top or leftside of the webpage. This is also what the general people expect.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@ Pickngrin: Set the table at a fixed hight, thereby securing the appearence of the page & your links at the bottom. This has the downsite that if the text is more than the fixed hight you have to use scrollbars to be able to read the whole text.

May I ask why the navigation links are the bottom? For a business it is better (I think) to make a somewhat conservative website, thereby placing the navigation links at the top or leftside of the webpage. This is also what the general people expect.
Thank you. Actually, no real reason why they're at the bottom. I will try putting them on the left side. Would I go about doing that the same way?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi

This is not a good use of tables. Consider using frames. Tables organise their content whereas frames organise your screen.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These responses were helpful - -thank you. I have since started from scratch with HTML and CSS in a text editor. I knew pretty much nothing about this, but with enough Googling, was able to piece it together, given that the content of my site is pretty basic. I think I will have much fewer headaches when I need to update the content.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.