Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my hardrive. I cant get into windows because safe mode is on in the MSCONFIG and it say it is unable to start in safe mode and keeps restarting. Is there any other way to format drive?

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Yes boot from your Windows XP CD. Use the partition tool thats part of the installation procedure - delete the existing partition and then create a new one (or more than one depending on what you want/ need). Then format it NTFS and finish the Windows XP installation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already booted from my windows disk and I am having this problem. When I tried to go back and install again it wont let me it skips through and goes staright into windows safe mode and says it has to restart.

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Check your BIOS/Jumper settings to make sure your external drives are primary masters or primary slaves. Your HD should always be last in case of problems like these where you have to boot from a Floppy or CD.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sometimes when Winblows gets corrupted, which is sounding like yours is the format tool just doesn`t seem to get the job done.

A person can spend a lot of time messing with it, and still not come up with satisfactory results. End result people start thinking the hard drive has gone bad, usually not the case.

Try this, and I`m sure it will get you back to a point where you can reformat, then reinstall Winblows, but it does add 1 step to what you`ve already tried.

Download Dariks boot and nuke from this site:

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Read through all of the info on the page to familiarize yourself with the operation then nuke your problem drive.

Suggestion, if the system has more then 1 HDD on it, remove any other HDD drives so you don`t accidently nuke a drive used as storage for files/data that isn`t causing a problem.

You will also need to set your boot up sequence in BIOs to CD, floppy, HDD, or floppy, cd, HDD depending on which way you load Dariks, can do to either a cd, or floppy. Unless your CD-R/CD-RW can burn an ISO disk it`s better to use a floppy.

After the drive is nuked, a slow operation, takes 2 to 5 hrs, best done before going to bed, your drive will be blank. After it is blank you can do the start of install of Winblows, it will tell you drive is new, and ask to format before proceeding. At that time just follow the Winblows prompts through format, then install will start.

You will be back in business.

g.w.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
DumbMe said:
I already booted from my windows disk and I am having this problem. When I tried to go back and install again it wont let me it skips through and goes staright into windows safe mode and says it has to restart.
This is a little confusing.
If the WinXP cd is in the drive and the BIOS is configured correctly to boot from the CD ROM drive, it should boot from the install CD and either give you the " Press and key to boot to the CD..." or "Setup is checking your system" option. If you do not get either one of these options and it just goes straight to trying to boot from the HD, then you need to make sure the BIOS is set to boot to the CD or you could have a defective install CD or CDROM drive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Try this...

I would download powermax.exe, set your cmos (hit delete when booting ) to boot from your floppy....reboot with the powermax disk and follow the instructions.....this will format your drive...good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.