Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For Windows 7 I`m told it is at C:\WINDOWS\SYSTYEM32\DRIVERS\ETSdirectory but PC says it can`t find it. My PC is using Win.7 and 64 bit but replacing this above instead of 32 makes no difference.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks BABZZZ.
I notice that the "MVPS HOSTS" has two downloads, I presume it is the Windows 7 OS that you suggest should be updated regularly? What is the reason for this?
Bye`

·
Registered
41,128 Posts
There is no reason to update your Hosts file, unless you are getting redirects or cannot access certain web sites.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well thank you all. I can find my HOST file OK and can enter the correct numbers but do I have to do this for each browser I use?

·
Registered
41,128 Posts
There is no reason to update your Hosts file, unless you are getting redirects or cannot access certain web sites.
You should not edit your Hosts file unless you are having a problem. It's best to leave it alone.

·
Registered
41,128 Posts
Babbzzz said:
Hello spunk.funk;I think I got it wrong. I just wanted to reconfirm why I was wrong. In my head, it seemed that HOST files are a list of websites that get blocked automatically? These HOST files contain probable malicious links right? So, why not update it? Thank you.
Attached is a typical Host file. If you have used SpyBot or certain Adobe Software (CS) it will add web site addresses after the last line 127.0.0.1. localhost If you update your Host file, it will remove those lines and you won't be able to update Adobe, and you will have removed the sites that SpyBot is blocking for you. There may be other software too that updates that adds lines here.
If your Host file looks like the attached, then it does not need updating because it hasn't changed.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.