Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the dumb question but I don't know how to tell if a graphics card is compatible with my comp. It's an HP Pavilion a1410n, currently has factory NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE card, AMD processor, 2 GB RAM (upgraded). I can't find what motherboard it has but an article about it says this...

"We mentioned earlier that gaming may not be the strength of these home desktop computers. That's because the integrated graphics don't offer the best 3D gaming performance. It is NVIDIA's GeForce 6150 LE integrated graphics, so the performance is better than some other options, but it still shares video memory with the main system RAM. Luckily, there's an open PCI Express slot on the motherboard so gamers can add a high-end video card to these home desktop computers and convert them into much better gaming machines. "

Does that mean any PCI graphics card will work with my comp? If this is the case can someone suggest an upgraded card for this PC? I don't need anything too crazy but I want to run Flight Simulator X at high graphics quality. Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
and check you have enough power to run the upgraded card
Good point. You will probably have to upgrade the PSU if you end up getting a card that is high end enough to play flight simulator on high settings.

Since it is PCIe, the majority of graphics cards on the market today will work with your computer, but most of them consume a lot of power, so make sure you look into how much power that PSU is outputing.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies everyone. I didn't know the difference between a PCI and a PCI-E. I don't know what kind of power supply this thing has. I am having trouble finding a detailed spec sheet on it. However I punched "a1410n PSU" into a search engine and someone on another tech forum stated "I changed my a1410n 300 watt PSU to a 500 watt unit..." So if his information is correct it's a 300 watt. Does that limit what kind of graphics card I can use?

Additionally I found this about the a1410n's slots...

"1 (0 free) Processor, 4 (2 free) Memory DIMM 184-pin, 3 (2 free) PCI, 1 (0 free) PCI Express x16"

Does that mean my one and only PCI express slot is taken up by a factory component, or is that component the factory graphics card that will be swapped? :4-dontkno I have a wireless internet antenna in there too if that matters...it's sticking out of the back in what I think is a traditional PCI slot.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
If you have the GeForce 6150, then your PCIe slot will be free. The Wireless network adapter will be using a PCI slot.

If that comes with a 300 w PSU, then it will definatley need upgrading. If you are going to be getting a good graphics card, for example, a 7600GT, then you should be looking at a 500 - 550 w PSU.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice. What will a 500 watt power supply run me, about $150? Sometimes I think it would have been cheaper to buy a new box instead of modifying this one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.