Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I change names from Joe Jones to Jones, Joe in Word 2000? I have a huge document of names I need to switch from first name to last name, first name. I looked in the sort area but nothing seems to work.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a very, very long list of names like this:

Rachel Evans
Joe Jones
Mike Killian
Jill Lynch

and on and on.

I need it to look like:

Evans, Rachel
Jones, Joe
Killian, Mike
Lynch, Jill

in a regular Word 2000 document. I don't believe drop and drag will work easily. That would be a great deal of dropping and dragging. I was hoping there was a trick to it in the Sort area. Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Security Manager, Analyst , Rangemaster, TSF Acade
39,538 Posts
If you're prepared to copy and paste from Word to Excel then here's one way. Copy the list to Excel. As pointed out, both names will appear in one cell. Assuming your list starts in A1, put this formula in B1

=LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1,1))

then this formula in C1

=MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1,SEARCH(" ",A1,1))+1,LEN(A1))

This will now give you first and last names in separate columns. Highlight one column, copy and paste special > values in the same place. Then repeat for the next column. This removes the formulas. You can now do what you want with the columns, sort or whatever then copy each column back to Word. Bear in mind that they will be copied back as a table in Word.

Not sure if this is exactly what you need but hope it's of some help.

Regards

·
Superhuman Computer
1,632 Posts
On a further note, if you make column D have the formula

=B1&", "&C1

then copy/paste special -> values, you'll have the names in Last, First format. Copy column D to column A, delete the values in columns B-D and save the file as a CSV file. Open the CSV file in notepad, and do a find/replace " with nothing, then copy the entire text out of the file into Word again. This will allow you to get it into Word without it being in a tabular format.

·
Security Manager, Analyst , Rangemaster, TSF Acade
39,538 Posts
ReeKorl said:
On a further note, if you make column D have the formula

=B1&", "&C1

then copy/paste special -> values, you'll have the names in Last, First format. Copy column D to column A, delete the values in columns B-D and save the file as a CSV file. Open the CSV file in notepad, and do a find/replace " with nothing, then copy the entire text out of the file into Word again. This will allow you to get it into Word without it being in a tabular format.
Of course - nice one Reekorl.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.