Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a lot of backing up to do. I would like all the data on these 250 and counting DVD's on an external drive. I just don't know how big I need, I m not good in math sorry.

Thxs

Pat

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,479 Posts
2TB IMO.
Copied from Livewire "A single TB is a lot of space. It would take 728,177 floppy disks or 1,498 CD-ROM discs to store just 1 TB worth of information."

·
Moderator TSF, Hardware Team Moderator
5,369 Posts
If they are ordinary single-layer DVDs, aka DVD-5, then 1 DVD has a capacity of 4.7GB. 250 DVDs are 4.7GB x 250 = 1175GB which is equivalent to 1.147TB. Since a 1TB external HDD has an actual capacity of approx 931GB, it will fall short, so I recommend no less than a 2TB external drive. This, of course, assumes that the DVDs are full to capacity, which may not be the case for all discs, but it's best to work with the higher limit. It won't hurt to go above 2TB either.

·
Registered
40,770 Posts
What is on these 250 DVD"s is it backups from a Backup program?
If you are doing Full Backups using a Backup program from the same computer on to all these discs then There are a lot of discs that have the same information on them. The Windows OS won't change much, just your personal files. So, you probably don't need to backup all of your DVD's

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On these 250 dvd's are very restricted CIA files.
LOL just kidding!!!
No, family pictures. I was going to either drag and drop, or copy and paste. No backup program.

Pat

·
Registered
40,770 Posts
Good idea to have them on a HDD, but don't throw away the DVD's. If they are precious you want to have at least 2 if not more copies of your pictures. You can also store them on a Cloud service on top of what else you are doing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.