Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I network a Windows box and a Samba Linux box as a peer to peer? I have no server and want no server but I want to share files between the two systems. I also need to find out how to share the files as I am a Linux rookie. Any ideas?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Over a regular network?:confused: I have no internet connection to my Linux box right now.:no: It's ashamed nobody hardly makes Linux software for real people.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
So all your trying to do is be able to transfer files between your Windows and Linux system over your internal network?

If so, on your Linux system on the command line type:

mount -t smbfs -o username=username,password=pass //computername/sharedrive /location/dir

In the username field: Type the share username for the Win system

In the pass field: Type the share password for the Win system

In the //computername/sharedrive field : type the location of the drive you want to map onto you Linux machine. Example (//winos/d) <== D drive on your windows system (what you type here should correspond to the share that the username and password would work for. Don't forget to enter the computers netbios name (in this case its winos) or the win systems IP address will work as well.)

In the /location/dir : enter the location you want the Windows drive mapped to on the Linux system. This should be an existing and empty directory on your Linux system. IE (/home/user/share)
when you went into this directory on your Linux system after running the mount command instead of an empty directory it would contain the complete file tree of the shared resource.

To end the mapping of the above example you would type: umount /home/user/share

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
To answer the question, yes, over a regular network. I would guess FTP might already be set up on your linux box. If not, it should be pretty easy.

There are a lot of TFTP software apps that will be both a server and a client.

Here's a good one for free: http://www.solarwinds.net/Tools/Free_tools/TFTP_Server/

I can't recommend one for Linux, but you can easily google them.

TFTP works well for transferring files quickly and easily. You don't have to worry about setting up SAMBA or permissions or whatever.

If you're going to do it a lot, then yeah, go ahead

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TheTechIsIn appears to have the best answer so far. I want to be able to print to a printer attached to my Linux box and share files BOTH WAYS at will. That and I am playing with it right now (plus if I get WINe going, I might want a two-person frag fest in Unreal or Half Life or something.:winking: ) And by the way, I do have Samba.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.