Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay i have two machines, both with heat and noise problems:

1) I have a compaq presario Laptop, 2170 US, that when it boots is nice and quiet, but after maybe 5 or 10 minutes it goes into super crazy fan mode, because its overheated (it burns to the touch on the bottom). I turned it on its side and pointed a desk fan at it, the bottom cooled down a bit, but the fan stayed on, and running my fingers over the fan port, its pretty hot. what are my options here to keep it from making the awful racket? I've heard of laptop cooler things you put under it, does anyone know of a good one or where I can buy one (reasonably cheap, at least <30), also can i upgrade the fan or something?

2) My desktop rig, which I built myself is also goddamn loud. Its got asus a8nslideluxe mobo, AMD64 3000+, nvidia 6600gt... and I bought 4 case fans (really cheap ones, like 99cents each) I have one on the back, two in the front, and one on the side window. after checking just know I see they are all on intake. I used to have only the one on the back plugged in, but my comp would overheat (i think, could be a faulty power outlet but i doubt it) frequently and so I added the others. this just started happening recently, after I moved it from my pretty cool basement to my non airconditioned dorm room. What should I look for to fix this? the stock CPU fan seems the worst of the 5, can i replace it with a standard 80 mm? also should I switch the fans to exhaust instead of intake? should I get quieter fans, and where can i get em, cheap (~5 bux a piece), any recommendations, sites, brands?

Both are getting really annoying, to me and my roommate, but I'm hoping i wont have to turn the comp off every night, i'm more of an always on user. Thanks for reading this far, I'd appreciate any help and advice!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.