Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've recently set up a AMD Sempron 2600 with a Foxconn mobo to appease my little brother. However, when we turn it on, the temp shoots right up. Its usually 52-53C idle, and when he's playing games its 60+.

This seems a bit too hot for me, anyone got any ideas what could be causing it? We're using the fan and heatsink that came with it, but they've usually worked fine for me in the past (the Athlon ones have, at least)...

Anyone?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@fantastapotamus
Yes that is too hot for that processor. oldmn makes some excellent suggestions. If this is a new installation, you may not have gotten the heatsink properly seated. Try redoing the installation by cleaning off the old paste and using fresh thermal paste, preferrably Arctic Silver 5, and follow these instructions

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aye, the case is practically spotless, didn't want anything to go wrong with the new mobo and processor :sayyes:

I'm *fairly* sure that I got the heatsink and fan on fine, but I might bite the bullet and buy that paste because I'm stumped for ideas...

Is it possible that the bios is throwing up an incorrect temp reading?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Also if this is a new case with front and rear fans make sure they are working together Front in Back out. I bought an antec sanata that had both fans installed to blow air into the case. :4-dontkno (Not much cooling there) :grin:

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
how many internal case fans do you have in your machine and which direction are they blowing?????????

some new cases dont come with any????

cheers

joe

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
fantastapotamus said:
Is it possible that the bios is throwing up an incorrect temp reading?
It could be possible. What does the MB temp read? You could also download a couple of free monitoring programs like SpeedFan or Motherboard Monitor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's two case fans inside.

One is on the back part and one is on the side (if you can picture that :smile: )

crazijoe : Im using Speedfan at the moment - its giving the same temp as the BIOS. What do you mean by Motherboard temp?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ fantastapotamus
If both BIOS and Speedfan are showing the same temps, they are probably correct. I would think if the cpu temps shoot up quickly from startup, it is your HSF/CPU connection that is at fault. The contact may be good enough to prevent crashing, but those are high idle temps. I would recommend you redo the HSF installation using the above linked instructions. Using Arctic Silver 5 is optional, but it is the best stuff out there and worth 3 -5 degrees in temps , or more over generic crappy stuff. You may be fine the junky stuff as long as you make good contact. AS5 won't help if it doesn't have a good contact made.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for the handy replies all

Looks like their is something physically wrong..I'll give the paste stuff a try.

Thanks again

EDIT : One more question :smile: would the case temp affect the CPU temp in such a way? Or would the case temp have to be really quite hot to make a difference?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Yes the case temp will Defiantly effect the cooling. It's a little hard to cool anything with hot air. You need to have good Circulation through and around your system. Believe it or not I have seen systems closed up in a cabinet. :FIREdevil :SHOCKED:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ fantastapotamus
Case temps usually run 5-10C degrees warmer than room temperature. The case temps are more affected by CPU temp than CPU temp being affected by case temp, if you know what I mean. High case temps are indicative of poor airflow within the case. You can also help the cooling cause by tidying up your cables so they aren't blocking airflow. Removing(cutting out) restrictive fan grills and installing wire grills can be helpful as well.
In your case(pun intended :grin: ) I would recommend having the side fan blow in and the rear fan blow out. You may also want to add a front fan for better cooling...you don't need a fast one, just like 1200-2000RPM for an 80mm fan(so it will be fairly quiet as well), less if a larger fan is used....most cases have mounting holes already in place.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.