Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished my new computer, and am running an Athlon XP 2600+, on a MSI KT4V mobo, Thermaltake Volcano 7+ (artic silver 3 applied), and muliple case fans, yet my cpu is running pretty hot. Right now I only have it configued to about 1600 mhz cause I hafta play with the settings, yet even with a really like load... like .. running IE.. haha.. the temp is as high as 58 C. Any suggestions on how to cool it down?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Well, there's two basic areas to work on. One is the heatsink, and you seem to have selected a decent one. I can only think that perhaps it's not aligned correctly and isn't cooling the processor as efficiently as it could. You could also have the wrong thermal compound, or not have it applied correctly.

The second area is in case cooling. In my experience, the best case cooling has come from having exhaust fans high in the case, and input fans in two cases have actually raised case temperatures.

If you take the case sides off and run, does the processor temperature run a lot cooler? If so, you need to address case cooling.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Nice system...and to think I'm using a 120MHz gateway 2000 with 32 megabytes of ram

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
don't laugh

well, i will share what i have seen happen with temps and fans.

(and this isn't me stealing the thread)

i have an amd 450 :(

it was running super hot, and i know better, so i added a fan to the bottom of the front panel, but this made little difference.

i checked the heatsink grease, and there was none, so i added some, and the temps came down alot.

but it was still too hot, so i carved a 4 inch hole in the side of my case and added a fan blowing right in at the CPU fan.

my temps went down a ton more.

i have since removed my front fan, and my temps stayed the same.

and i have read some things about keeping the temps down, and what was said was this:

"CPU temps are directly related to the ambient tempurature of the air blowing in and around the processor fan, and then wind chill factor is applied. holding this in mind, if we want our CPU fan to cool better, we need to offer it a source of colder air, or increase the speed at which the fan is moving to increase the wind chill factor."

maybe that will bring it to light for some of you that might still be confused like i was.
~BoB~

·
Registered
5 Posts
Since this thread addresses a similar problem i have i thought id ask for help here. I strongly suspect my processors defective but id like a second opinion.

Im running a athlon xp 2500+ barton on a K7N2 Ultra - L mobo with a 7000 rpm fan and a copper heatsink with artic silver 2. Ive got four case fans excluding the power supply fan (2 for the hdd blowing in, 1 blowing onto the processor from the side and one blowing out at the back). Despite my best efforts, my cpu is still running at 50-55 in an air conditioned environment with the side panel off. Im at a loss at what to do now so if anyone has any ideas, plz let me know

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Please post separate questions in a new thread, it's way too confusing to start answering multiple questions on one thread. :no:

·
Registered
277 Posts
120MHz gateway 2000 with 32 megabytes of ram

Fox said:
Nice system...and to think I'm using a 120MHz gateway 2000 with 32 megabytes of ram
120MHz gateway 2000 with 32 megabytes of ram WFT?!?!

·
Registered
277 Posts
10 Fans
1 on PSU
1 on Heatsink
1 on GPU
1 on top of case
2 at back of case
2 at front of case
2 on side of case

CPU gets to 68 Degrees, then cools down, how can I ensure a low temp at all times

HDDs are red hot, why is it so hot, especially when its not in use

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.