Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there! First off, here's some tech specs for what I'm working with and what I'll be referring to:

Laptop is a Dell Precision M6600 running with an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2820QM processor
Battery is a Dell 97Wh Standard Rechargeable Li-ion Battery Type FJJ4W9

I recently got a laptop from my brother who works in tech and had a stack of these Dell Precision laptops lazing around. It works just fine with the only exception being this damn battery problem. The first battery it came with, a Type FV993 (blue stripe on the side), gave out quickly and soon refused to charge, staying at 0% charge once it had died. My brother and I assumed that this was just a problem with the battery, so he tracked down a new one, the one I am using now (FJJ4W9). However, this one is having problems as well.

This new battery charges, but only up to a certain point. It usually gets up to around 45% and hovers around there, even after being plugged in all day. I've had battery problems the entire time I've had this computer, and with both batteries, which leads me to believe the problem is with the laptop itself and not the batteries. My brother guessed that there might be a driver I don't have that needs to be installed, but that was the only info he could muster. I ran Driver Booster recently and it couldn't find any missing driver for the battery, and the problem still persists.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this issue? Has anyone else come across problems with either of these batteries, or with this laptop in general in regards to this problem? Anyone out there know of an essential driver for this battery that I may need? Any assistance that can be provided is greatly appreciated. I wanted this laptop specifically so I could leave the house with it and get work done on the go, but it's obviously a bit harder to do so with all these issues. If there's any other info you need to help with this issue, or any questions you may have, please feel free to ask. Thanks so much!

·
Global Moderator
42,319 Posts
A battery that does not charge all the way is a battery that is starting to fail.
My brother and I assumed that this was just a problem with the battery, so he tracked down a new one,
The fact that your brother had to "Track Down" a Dell laptop battery makes me think it is not brand new. These batteries are readily available on Ebay If a new battery does not fully charge then replace the Charger, if that doesn't work, then the charging port may be faulty.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,917 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts