Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions as to what has gone wrong will be greatly appreciated.

Specs ... Epox KT133+ mobo, Duron 1.2, 384Mb pc-133 RAM, Geforce Ti4200 8x, onboard sound, win xp pro, network card with cable connection.

Basically it is an old, personally built comp that I have used for years and upgraded over time (not lately obviously).

I was playing Rise of Nations on Sunday, and it locked up, a hard lock. Not unusual for this game, so I hit reset as always. It wouldn't start up at all. Would vary between locking up after memory check to nothing but a black screen to locking up right after windows would try to start. There looks to be power to all the parts.

Messed around with it last night, have tried clearing CMOS, tried unhooking non-essential parts, tried safe mode and regular start, and several other things.

Right now, here is what it is doing when turned on .... first time it turns on, it powers up, but there is nothing but a black screen - monitor light is lit, though, not blinking. Hit reset button and it will VERY slowly get all the way into windows. VERY slowly, as in it takes about 30 minutes to get all the way there and when there is so slow as to be unresponsive.

That is where I am now. I know just enough about hardware to be dangerous and nothing more, but I was figuring either motherboard or processor burned somehow. Maybe harddrive? I am very confused now that it is actually starting up.

Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated.

Rage

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
In working on a HP computer last night, the sucker would barely boot after 20 minutes. Turned out that the computer had klez as well as a new virus call gaobot. (regloadr.exe and dosrun32.exe)

I removed the klez virus after turning off system restore and then got rid of gaobot. Then ran a hp "safe restore" similiar to a file fix for XP (safe recovery I think is what it is called.)

Also sounds like heat related issue with cpu could be a factor.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
idtent said:
In working on a HP computer last night, the sucker would barely boot after 20 minutes. Turned out that the computer had klez as well as a new virus call gaobot. (regloadr.exe and dosrun32.exe)

I removed the klez virus after turning off system restore and then got rid of gaobot. Then ran a hp "safe restore" similiar to a file fix for XP (safe recovery I think is what it is called.)

Also sounds like heat related issue with cpu could be a factor.

Hope this helps
I've wondered about it being heat related, as in the damage having come from heat. It is not runnning hot now, though. Could it possibly be heat sink coming apart from processor somewhat?

As for a virus, I have never had a serious one before. I didn't know if they could cause comp not to even boot. If it is a virus, I suppose I should be able to get it to boot from a boot disk and could reinstall XP if needed, right?

I don't have anything on the hdd that i can't erase, so I am fine blanking it all if that will fix it.

Thanks for the response.

Rage

·
1,038 Posts
Call a local computer store and see if they carry heatsinks and fans for your processor. Also make sure that your power supply fan is putting out cool/warm but not hot air.

Other than that keep me posted.

·
1,038 Posts
Forgot,

What video card do you have? They can get hot also. Do you have a spare that you could try to see if that helps?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
idtent said:
Forgot,

What video card do you have? They can get hot also. Do you have a spare that you could try to see if that helps?
Video is Geforce Ti4200 8x. It is brand new, just a few months old. I do have a spare that I can try for video, I just didn't consider it, as I didn't think this type of behavior would be related to the vid card.

Again, thanks for the replies. I will be trying to check the vid card and probably the memory tonight (on work comp now).

Rage

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried a few more things last night. I tried booting up with a boot disk, so I could just reinstall windows, but when I did that, the DVD/CD would not work, so I could not reinstall. I checked the memory, didn't help. I tried letting it boot all the way into windows and then reinstalling win xp from there, but the DVD/CD still wouldn't work. I have tried disconnecting the DVD/CD completely too, but that didn't help.

All fans are spinning and everything has power. I have checked the heat in bios, doesn't seem to be a problem. I also tried switching video cards, and that didn't help.

It is still that i can SLOWLY get all the way into windows, but it is too slow to do anything once there (and when I say slow, I mean practically stopped), and the DVD/CD drive won't work, but the light is on.

I am at a loss as to what to do.

Again, thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Howdy.

I have been watching this thread, and frankly, I have thought that Idtent was right on it.

Viruses, Trojans and spyware can cause your computer not to boot, boot repeatedly, make software not work, disconnect hardware...everything but melt you down, and I am sure that is coming soon.

An almost sure fix is a complete reformat of your HD, and install everything anew.

If you are a curious type, I would recommend that you download Spybot Search and Destroy from the link below, run a scan, tell it to fix everything in RED.

http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=download

Then, download Hijack This from the link below, have it scan, save log and post it here. The link is to a quick start site, so there's lots of instructions there. Don't fix anything until we've had a look at it.

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

It might be all for nothing, but, then again...

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jgvernonco said:
Howdy.

I have been watching this thread, and frankly, I have thought that Idtent was right on it.

Viruses, Trojans and spyware can cause your computer not to boot, boot repeatedly, make software not work, disconnect hardware...everything but melt you down, and I am sure that is coming soon.

An almost sure fix is a complete reformat of your HD, and install everything anew.

If you are a curious type, I would recommend that you download Spybot Search and Destroy from the link below, run a scan, tell it to fix everything in RED.

http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=download

Then, download Hijack This from the link below, have it scan, save log and post it here. The link is to a quick start site, so there's lots of instructions there. Don't fix anything until we've had a look at it.

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

It might be all for nothing, but, then again...

:rolleyes:
I have S & D, I had run it the day before the meltdown and cleard everything out. There was nothing red.

I would run it now, but I basically can't run anything in windows, and I can't reformat and clean install, because I can't get the cdrom to work once booting with a bootdisk.

I run a firewall, I am very, very careful about not getting a virus, and I never have.

You guys may be right, but I just can't get to the point of being able to do a clean install without the cdrom working.

·
Registered
165 Posts
just get a boot diskette with a generic CD rom driver on it (mscdex etc...) and you will get access to your CD drive.

Then install your OS from CD

gr

·
Registered
376 Posts
Same thing happened to me after putting a higher-power graphics card in my old system. It was the power supply going out. If you run a check on your CPU clock, you'll probably find that it's clocking at about half to two-thirds speed.

Don't risk damaging more components by having the system on.
Grab a new power supply. 350W should work for this system since that's the minimum wattage recommended for GeForce4 Ti cards. I highly recommend Antec True Power PSU's, but that's my personal preference. Pop the new PSU in, and you should be good to go. (Check for compatibility before choosing one.)

What brand and wattage power supply are you currently running?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.