Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought a IDE Controller Card (Sil-0680-Raid). I want to hook up an extra hard drive to my current master hard drive and slave. My current set up is a 40 gigabyte Master with a 30 gigabyte slave (both connected to my Primary IDE on the motherboard). I want to add another 80 gig Slave to my computer. Did I buy the right device to hook this hard drive up? How would I go about connecting up my 30, 40, and 80 gigabyte hard drives? Would you happen to have a diagram or instructions on how I could hook these hard drives to my computer? (I want to have my 30 as my master and the 40 and 80 as my slave) My motherboard can handle DMA 100 and all my hard drives are DMA 100. All of them are Western Digital 7,200 RPM with 2 megabyte buffer.

Thanks!
Chris Fung

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I'm not sure what you plan on doing with the RAID controller, but unless you've already used both device addresses on the secondary IDE connection, you should be able to just connect the third hard drive there. To use a RAID controller for anything useful, you need to connect at least two identical disks to it...

·
Student of the Art
643 Posts
wow, 30 + 40 + 80, thats alota gigs

·
STILL Stuck in a treestand....
929 Posts
Just for the sake of knowing what do you plan to use it for? Do they all operate at the same rpms?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they are all 7200 rpm with 2 meg buffers....I think i have a problem with the 80 gig...when booting up..it has a bunch of !!! marks after the model number of the hard drive...anyone know what this means?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i got the problem fixed...i hooked up both slaves to the primary IDE on the PCI IDE controller card and then put the master (bootable hard drive) as the master on the primary IDE on the mother board

It was a faulty cable that was giving me the !!! marks...

Thanks guys for the ideas!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.