Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just discovered HomePlugs. They seem like a great idea and a way to reduce the amound of Cat.5 streaming around the house but how good are they in the read world?

Does anyone have any experience of using them?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes, I have been using that for over a year. This is what I use.

I have 2 wired PC up-stair and connect to a mini gigabit switch with a home plug. On the other end in living room, I have a media PC, a NAS box and a wifi router connect to another mini gigabit switch to 2nd homeplug.

Both home plug are working fine, Gigabit performance over powerline is only a theory, you be lucky if getting 300Mbps but it sure faster than Ethernet homeplug. Streaming normal quality video is fine, a bit choppy for HD video.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah your setup sounds similar to mine but I have Cat.5 trailing upstairs to the rear of the house. Also the wireless signal is virtually non-existant at the rear. I was considering using homeplugs to replace the Cat.5 feeding upstairs and use them to feed a wireless AP at the rear.

Do you know if more than one set can be used at the same time?

I have read that the Gigabit plugs work slightly faster than the standard 200Mbps AV ones but if they're on a different ring main then performance suffers greatly.

·
Registered
94 Posts
That's right, they work best in same circuit. I seen the review on Amazon, peoples either love it or hate it. It all depends the powerline quality and only plug in to the wall socket (not power extension)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I mean do they come as a matched pair that can only be used together or can I buy two and then add to them as I please?

·
Registered
94 Posts
They usually come as pair, but you can add any extra. They have something like upto 30 homeplug limitation but that's more than enough.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, that's what I was after. Thanks.

May well invest in a set come payday then.

Any further thoughts anyone?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.