Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have called around to 4 different tech supports and no one will answer my questions.
I have 3 computers running through a router on my cable connection, all running win2000. From the computer downstairs i can see both the other computers and access them through network neighborhood. On either of the two computers upstairs i can see the computer downstairs but when i try accessing it it gives me this message...

\\Home is not accessible.
Logon Failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.

All computers are able to access the internet and do things such as network games, but as i said no computers upstairs can access files on the computer downstairs. As you suggested in other forums i have only NetBeui and TCP/IP protocols installed on all computers and all computers are giving eachother full access. No admin passwords or anything like that. I also tried enabling NetBios over TCP/IP on all computers, but this also did not help. Would love to get this problem solved.... thanks
AcaeA

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Have you tried this ...

SYMPTOMS
When you try to map a drive to a network share on a server, you may not be able to do so and you may receive the following system error message (1385):

Logon failure: The user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.

CAUSE
This behavior can occur when the user account does not have the user right Access this computer from network.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, in User Manager For Domains, either grant the user account the Access this computer from network user right, or add the user account to a group that has this right defined on the server.
There also appears to be some articles related to Service Pack 2. Have you applied Service Pack 2 to all your Win2K boxes?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Pseudocyber is correct, this is an account permissions issue. Make sure all the computers have an account for anyone that connects with the proper permissions, and this error should be gone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RE home networking

where do i find the User Manager for Domains... sorry for my computer illiteracy.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Well, since I doubt you're logging into a domain, perhaps the question is slightly misleading. You need to make sure that in Users & Passwords that there is an account that matches the name/password of the remote machine with privileges to access the shared resources. If you log into a machine with:

Name: John Doe
PWD: abcde

You need to have an account on the machine with the shared resources that has the same name and password, and permission to access the shared resources.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yeah, In all machs, Start, programs, admin tools (if not there check help to add admin tools, like from the task bar), then what you want is "local security policy" expand that, "user rights assignment", log on locallay...ect. check all the perms out, get to know your Operating System. the whole book on your OS is in Help, it's just hard to pharse what to search for. Hope that is of asst. :bandit:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.