Tech Support Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
OK when we bough this place in NC it had fuse boxes, and still does, 100 amp
I want to install a breaker box so that I can, solve a few problems insurance wise and blown fuse wise
now I can fond 100 amp breaker boxes all day, and 200 amp breaker boxes, the dominion power line to my house is 100 amp ( I assume and we all know what assume does)
anyway, I keep blowing the 20 amp that basically runs 3 ac's and several outlets, IF I install a breaker box I can eliminate half the problem by installing breakers for each room easy enough
My question is two fold
(1) if I install a 200 amp breaker box can I use 100 amp breakers in it?
(2) since a 100 amp breaker box comes in a 20 bay size, will 200 amp breakers fit, I know that if I have 100 amp installing a 200 will not give me 200 amps, I just want to know that question for availability issues
you can put a 100 amp breaker in a 200 amp box but not the other way around. A 20 amp circuit will not run 3 window air units. you would need to add a circuit for each A/C unit. If you upgrade box I would go with the 200 amp. but you would need to replace wire & conduit from whre the power comes in from the power co. Meter base and conduit up to the connection point. I was an electrican for 45 years. an changed out a lot of fuse boxed.

· Registered
2 Posts
OK when we bough this place in NC it had fuse boxes, and still does, 100 amp
I want to install a breaker box so that I can, solve a few problems insurance wise and blown fuse wise
now I can fond 100 amp breaker boxes all day, and 200 amp breaker boxes, the dominion power line to my house is 100 amp ( I assume and we all know what assume does)
anyway, I keep blowing the 20 amp that basically runs 3 ac's and several outlets, IF I install a breaker box I can eliminate half the problem by installing breakers for each room easy enough
My question is two fold
(1) if I install a 200 amp breaker box can I use 100 amp breakers in it?
(2) since a 100 amp breaker box comes in a 20 bay size, will 200 amp breakers fit, I know that if I have 100 amp installing a 200 will not give me 200 amps, I just want to know that question for availability issues
Question 1. if you install a 200 amp rated cb panel, yes you can install a 100 amp main cb for the main in the panel, but there are some rules to follow, the 2 pole 100 amp cb that is plugged into the panel is now a backfeed main circuit breaker and has to be securely bolted onto the panel framing so it cannot be removed from the bussbar unintentionally. If you plan to ever get a larger rated service like 200 amp, it would be best to get a 200 amp rated panel with a factory installed 200 amp main cb, if so I would recommend conduit sized larger enough to hold 200 amp rated service, utility companys usually have a minimum size. in colorado where i live a 100 amp service requires a 2" GRC OR EMT conduit. overkill, but they have their reasons. Also in colorado even if you own the house the work still has to be inspected by the state, local, city electrical inspector. You have to get a permit but you can do the work yourself without a license, unless you are upgrading with the intended purpose to resell, thats a no no here, then you need a licensed electrical contractor. find an electrican where you live and talk with them, they can be a ton of help on what you are asking for to do. Be safe, and enjoy the work.

· Registered
5 Posts
I am an electrical engineer. I have upgraded a service entrance from 60A/110V to 200A/220V. A good rule here is just because you can do a thing doesn't mean you SHOULD do a thing. Based on the conversation, I am thinking that if you want to upgrade your service entrance to 220A/220V you hire an electrical contractor to do it. To change the electric service installing larger diameter service wire, a 200 A breaker and a new box. Also, be aware that the breaker size is limited by the size of the wire attached to it. a 15A circuit requires at least a #14 wire. A 20A Circuit requires at least a #12 wire. Those are the minimum sizes required in the entire circuit connected to that circuit breaker.. If uou connect a 20A circuit breaker to a #14 wire, and you try to pull 20A through it, the breaker will not trip, but the wire will catch fire. It is like a "penny in a fuse box".

That said, I got the sense that the problem is that you are running multiple A/C off of one, underpowered line. Does the 100A breaker ever trip? If so, consider upgrading the Electric service to 200A.

The way this works is Each Circuit breaker protects the wire attached to it from drawing enough power to cause it to burn. For example, If the 100A box has 5 slots and each slot has a 20A breaker, everything is good. On the other hand, if it had 6 slots and all had 20A breakers, then if all 20A pulled 20A at the same time, the 100A breaker would trip. On the other hand, if each of the 20A breakers only drew 10A, thing would be fine. Lets say your 100A box has 1 50A breaker for your heat, and 4 20A breakers for A/Cs Clearly, if they were all on maximum draw, the 100A breaker would trip. But, it would be unlikely that you would be using the heat and the A/C simultaneously

The solution may be as simple as as splitting up the circuit to the A/Cs into separate circuits. Are there empty slots in your current box where additional breakers could be installed? .If so install a few more circuit breakers, up to one/A/C. Match the size of the circuit breaker to the size of the wire. If there are no remaining slots in the main , 100A box, You can add a subbox. You pull a few breakers from the main panel,. use the empty slots to connect an auxillary panel of say 10 slots, place the breakers you removed from the main into the sub box and then add the A/C circuits.to the sub box.
Just remember, the wire between main box and the sub box needs to be sized for the large circuit breaker in the sub box.

Hope this helps...

· Moderator Hardware Team
14,513 Posts
I am an electrical engineer. I have upgraded a service entrance from 60A/110V to 200A/220V. A good rule here is just because you can do a thing doesn't mean you SHOULD do a thing. Based on the conversation, I am thinking that if you want to upgrade your service entrance to 220A/220V you hire an electrical contractor to do it. To change the electric service installing larger diameter service wire, a 200 A breaker and a new box. Also, be aware that the breaker size is limited by the size of the wire attached to it. a 15A circuit requires at least a #14 wire. A 20A Circuit requires at least a #12 wire. Those are the minimum sizes required in the entire circuit connected to that circuit breaker.. If uou connect a 20A circuit breaker to a #14 wire, and you try to pull 20A through it, the breaker will not trip, but the wire will catch fire. It is like a "penny in a fuse box".

That said, I got the sense that the problem is that you are running multiple A/C off of one, underpowered line. Does the 100A breaker ever trip? If so, consider upgrading the Electric service to 200A.

The way this works is Each Circuit breaker protects the wire attached to it from drawing enough power to cause it to burn. For example, If the 100A box has 5 slots and each slot has a 20A breaker, everything is good. On the other hand, if it had 6 slots and all had 20A breakers, then if all 20A pulled 20A at the same time, the 100A breaker would trip. On the other hand, if each of the 20A breakers only drew 10A, thing would be fine. Lets say your 100A box has 1 50A breaker for your heat, and 4 20A breakers for A/Cs Clearly, if they were all on maximum draw, the 100A breaker would trip. But, it would be unlikely that you would be using the heat and the A/C simultaneously

The solution may be as simple as as splitting up the circuit to the A/Cs into separate circuits. Are there empty slots in your current box where additional breakers could be installed? .If so install a few more circuit breakers, up to one/A/C. Match the size of the circuit breaker to the size of the wire. If there are no remaining slots in the main , 100A box, You can add a subbox. You pull a few breakers from the main panel,. use the empty slots to connect an auxillary panel of say 10 slots, place the breakers you removed from the main into the sub box and then add the A/C circuits.to the sub box.
Just remember, the wire between main box and the sub box needs to be sized for the large circuit breaker in the sub box.

Hope this helps...
He doesn’t have breakers his is a fuse box. 60 amp

· Registered
2 Posts

Hope this helps...
You are an Electrical engineer and have done electrical work? My hat is off to you. When ever I have had to speak to an E.E. I have found the best ones use to do electrical work in the field.

· Moderator, Automotive Team
14,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Everything depends on the size of the incoming wire. You cannot exceed it's rating.

The fact that breaker panels are rated 200 or100 amp only means there are more spaces and heavier main lugs. It does not mean you will be using 100 or 200 amps, just that they are built for it.

What comes to the house from the pole, aluminum or copper? Where is the transformer?
coming from the pole looks like aluminium the transformer is on a pole between me and my next door neighbor
About 15 years ago I went to a 100A box from a 60 A 4 fuse set up. The electric Co was responsible for up to the meter so I put the meter on the side of the house and the box on the other side of the wall.

But if a 60A is big enough now without blowing fuses then the 100A will be cherry. Just be sure the wire going to the new box is rated at what ever the box is rated at. Then use a main breaker sized for your load.

You can have a 100 breakers as long as you aren't using them all at once.
Here everything except the meter from where the lines are crimped to the mast lines belongs to me, the mast the wires coming from the connectors to the house, the meter bases( yes theres two only one it used the other is bypassed it used to be a hot water meter), if I can find a 60 amp main breaker designed for the box them I'm good I don't wanna exceed the incoming line power and dominion wants an are, keg and let testicle to change their line to my house from the pole, ( appreantly I oen that too since it comes from a different direction and not from the transformer)

· TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
11,922 Posts
Where you been wolfen?! Some of us were starting to worry about you . . . since you know, you were getting so involved into tackling this Not-really-a-DIY project and then up and disappear around here for durn near a week? Feared you might have turned yourself into a crispy critter for sure. ;)

14,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Where you been wolfen?! Some of us were starting to worry about you . . . since you know, you were getting so involved into tackling this Not-really-a-DIY project and then up and disappear around here for durn near a week? Feared you might have turned yourself into a crispy critter for sure. ;)
Ive been really really busy, havent blown a fuse in a few days, so I've been concentration on moving the dryer and installing a replacenemt used washer we bought for 100 where the dryer was, but thats another thread, I will say this though, my walls.......no wonder this place has been here solid as a rock since 1920, try drilling through a wall in my house is liek trying to run a 3/8 wal mart drill through a solid rock
buit I still have teh 100 amp box, looking for a 670amp main breal=ker to fit in it, if I can find that I can solve the problem without a home loan to hire an electrician

11,922 Posts
Plaster walls over petrified wood eh? Sounds like a barrel of fun.

Best of luck on finding a 60 AMP Main Breaker for a 100 AMP box ... as well as tackling that project. Keep your wits about you.

14,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Plaster walls over petrified wood eh? Sounds like a barrel of fun.

Best of luck on finding a 60 AMP Main Breaker for a 100 AMP box ... as well as tackling that project. Keep your wits about you.
Nope not petrified, Black Jack oak once that stuff dries and turns grey, good luck putting a 308 round through it and old house we used as a bard when I was growing up was made of theyt stuff , my dad shot it with his 308 and we heard the bullet wizz past us after it bounced off the wood. Finsing a 60 amp main breaker might not be doable, BUT I can get 2 60's one on each side and have one as the main, Or ( I liek thios better) use a single 60 as the main and use only ONE side of the box and let the 100 amp breaker be a bridge to the other side

11,922 Posts
I suppose. As long as flipping that single 60 AMP breaker would instantly disconnect ALL electricity throughout the entire house. Rather doubt it would pass code though. Which probably means if there were an accident, fire, etc. your insurance companies would have a reason not to pay for any damages.

11,922 Posts

· Team Manager, Microsoft Support
33,796 Posts
I was concerned and Doc brought it up, but unless you can pass code, you're asking for big trouble.

14,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I was told by the electrician at Lowes that I can remove the 100 amp breaker and use a 60 amp at the top as the main
dunno why he works at lowes, but he said he did residential electrical form 30 years

11,922 Posts
41 - 57 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.