Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Moderator, Automotive Team
14,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK when we bough this place in NC it had fuse boxes, and still does, 100 amp
I want to install a breaker box so that I can, solve a few problems insurance wise and blown fuse wise
now I can fond 100 amp breaker boxes all day, and 200 amp breaker boxes, the dominion power line to my house is 100 amp ( I assume and we all know what assume does)
anyway, I keep blowing the 20 amp that basically runs 3 ac's and several outlets, IF I install a breaker box I can eliminate half the problem by installing breakers for each room easy enough
My question is two fold
(1) if I install a 200 amp breaker box can I use 100 amp breakers in it?
(2) since a 100 amp breaker box comes in a 20 bay size, will 200 amp breakers fit, I know that if I have 100 amp installing a 200 will not give me 200 amps, I just want to know that question for availability issues

· TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
11,922 Posts

14,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK another question
can I install a 100 amp box, I knwop the main has to be a 100 amp breaker, but the branches, to the have to be spectifcally designed for a 100 amp box? or are the all the same, connection wise, when you plug a breaker on

· TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
11,922 Posts
Not quite sure of the question but, a 20 amp breaker pulled out of a 100 amp panel will plug right into a 200 amp panel.

14,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not quite sure of the question but, a 20 amp breaker pulled out of a 100 amp panel will plug right into a 200 amp panel.
good, thanks
Breakers in a 200 and 100 are all the same. Just have to use breakers made for brand of panel that is installed. Some brands are interchangeable. I like square D panels
again , good thanks I like square D to
Usually will need a qualified electrician to swap out service. At least in our area.
Yea, about that I hope the county guy is in Jackson looking at tax papers when I do it instead of standing in my back yard watching me LOL

· Administrator, TSF Manager
30,582 Posts
Some localities will allow the homeowner to do repairs on their home as long as the homeowner occupies the home. Rental units will require licensed/bonded contractors. You may have to get a permit...for your own safety. Electric company will need to shut power off at the pole....could take a few days to schedule them to come back and make final connection. Not recommended but I worked mine hot....didn't want to wait for power to be restored... :eek:

The service entrance (SE) cable will determine the size (in amps) of the new panel. Determine the gauge of the SE cable and install the proper panel to match amperage. The SE cable is all of the cable after the electric co's connection. You are restricted as to the length of the SE from the meter into the residence....~3'. From there it stays the same....you cannot exceed the capacity of the wiring. Determine the gauge of each branch circuit going out of the new panel and supply the correct amp breaker. 12ga will handle a 20 amp breaker.....14ga is for 15 amp breakers. DO NOT DEVIATE FROM THE WIRE'S RATING. Damp locations or outdoor receptacles will require a GFCI.....bedrooms need to have an AFCI breaker. Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter.....Arc Fault CI.

· Premium Member
2,328 Posts
A 200 amp box needs an upgrade in service.
Check the rating on the fuses in the old box, and get matching breakers,(make sure you get 240 breakers if you have any double fuse 240v in the box) switch them all to off. Install the breakers, pull the meter, mark and remove the old wires, remove the old box and slap the new box in, hook up the wires and reinstall the meter. Turn on breakers one at a time. I can usually get it done in a couple hours at most.

· Team Manager, Microsoft Support
33,796 Posts
If Uncle Sugar has his way, everyone is going to need 200 amp service to fast charge their electric carriages.

· Premium Member
2,328 Posts
I have two boxes, one at the service entry, and one in the house, so I could just add a small 200 on the pole for charging if I needed to.

A couple years ago, one side of the main breaker in the outside box burned out, and the maker of the box had gone out of business. Thought I would have to swap the box out, but went to 6 different hardware and electrical supplies before I found one that matched.

· Registered
64 Posts
OK when we bough this place in NC it had fuse boxes, and still does, 100 amp
I want to install a breaker box so that I can, solve a few problems insurance wise and blown fuse wise
now I can fond 100 amp breaker boxes all day, and 200 amp breaker boxes, the dominion power line to my house is 100 amp ( I assume and we all know what assume does)
anyway, I keep blowing the 20 amp that basically runs 3 ac's and several outlets, IF I install a breaker box I can eliminate half the problem by installing breakers for each room easy enough
My question is two fold
(1) if I install a 200 amp breaker box can I use 100 amp breakers in it?
(2) since a 100 amp breaker box comes in a 20 bay size, will 200 amp breakers fit, I know that if I have 100 amp installing a 200 will not give me 200 amps, I just want to know that question for availability issues
If your main wiring is 100 amp service, do not use more than a 100 amp main breaker. Your good to go.

14,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for all the input guys
sets my mind at easy knowing that I can use the same breakers in a 100 and 200 amp, I know the main from the pole comes in from front and the main breaker in=the back MUST match that, but I have found that in some stores 100 amp breaklers are cheaper, somce stores 200 amp breakers are cheaper and some stores its a crap shoot as to what you buy LOL
the ONLY reaon I'm even change it the three window units are just fine, BUT if all three bedooms have lighte computers radios printers amd pokemon stuff on the fuse heats up the ONLY way to add another wire is to install another brrealer box

· Registered
64 Posts
thanks for all the input guys
sets my mind at easy knowing that I can use the same breakers in a 100 and 200 amp, I know the main from the pole comes in from front and the main breaker in=the back MUST match that, but I have found that in some stores 100 amp breaklers are cheaper, somce stores 200 amp breakers are cheaper and some stores its a crap shoot as to what you buy LOL
the ONLY reaon I'm even change it the three window units are just fine, BUT if all three bedooms have lighte computers radios printers amd pokemon stuff on the fuse heats up the ONLY way to add another wire is to install another brrealer box
Like I said do not use a 200 amp breaker if your service is only 100 amps. All the other appliances will feed via the 100 amp one, so they will be like 20 amp, 30 should be the max, and most anything.

14,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
ok I just looked at the inside of the lid to the box it says 125-250 Vac does that mean it a 100 amp?
here's a pic of it the top left where its real dark it says Walker Electrical co Flush mtg surface mtg 125-250 AC
Top right it says Cat no 1402-F6-W30 tow times ten under that it says 3 wire 30-60amp
does that mean its a 60 amp?
if it is do I need a 60 amp breaker box?

By the way, that box is on the back porch the one on the front porch is where the power comes in from the pole to the meter

Attachments

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.