Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently tried to fix another computer i have, and i have new hard drives and such. I tried to install Windows XP Home Edition W/ Service Pack 2. I came up almost done with it, and It came up with a Cyclic redundancy error at the start of Installing Windows. I figured it could be the disk was scratched badly enough to where it would not read correctly. Even so, i tried it on another Hard Drive just to be sure, and confirmed the same error. Now here is the problem. I recently scavenged around my room and found an XP Pro edition disk. How can i get rid of the Home Edition that didn't work (stuck in home edition installation phase), and start a fresh installation with the XP Pro edition? Sorry, but i'm not sure and this is proving quite frustrating. :/

Any help, or links to help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, :grin:

·
Registered
81 Posts
You need to make sure you boot from the Windows XP Pro installation CD, not from your harddrives.

When you start your computer, look for something called "Boot Menu", with a bit of luck you can press F8 or similar before the computer starts Windows and just select your DVD-drive there and it should work.

If not you'll need to go into BIOS and make sure the DVD-drive is before your harddrive in the boot order menu. Usually you get into BIOS by pressing DEL when your computer is posting (just starting up, before Windows and all that).

EDIT: Too slow :laugh:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you for your quick responses, and for the link. I changed the BIOs to boot up the [CD ROM] first, but now it's not recognizing the XP Pro disk as a system disk... :(

Should i try windows 95 (or 98), and then if that works try xp pro or ... ?

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you have a bootable XP disc in your drive, and it's first in the boot order, you should see a message like "Press any key to boot from CD.." where if you press a key the installation should start.

If you don't see that, try with the XP Home CD and see if that works, if it does, your XP Pro CD is unfortunately not good either and you need another installation media.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I try with the Home Edition disk, it tried to resume the installation, and keeps getting the redundancy error, which i'm assuming is because of the severity of the scratches. How could i delete the partitions, and start fresh with another disk?

I really hope my XP Pro disk isn't damaged or corrupt. There are no scratches or anything on the disk, and It's been in it's case for a while. :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Sorry, I looked at it. I can't get to those screens though. After I press a key to boot from the XP cd, it shows the windows logo, then says it is going back to installation, where it gets stuck. Any idea why? :(

EDIT: I had a usb Key board hooked up, and so i switched it with the key board i was using on this PC. The screen came up now, although i am confused as to why it didn't recognize the key strokes for the boot, and i could use it for the BIOS and such. Anyways, THANKS! Hopefully I can fix this now.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If it shows the Windows logo, you failed to boot from the CD... if you press any key as soon as the message "Press any key etc" shows, does the message disappear or does the dots continue for a while?

You may need to turn something called "Legacy USB Support" on inside BIOS to get your keyboard active, if it's a USB-keyboard.

EDIT: Ah, you solved it. To use a USB-keyboard without drivers, you need to enable it like I described. Windows loads it's own drivers, and it will work in BIOS as well, but not in a preinstall environment and such.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wait, where did you get a BSOD? If you only just booted from the installation CD you should be far from Bluescreen territory... you should be in text-mode right now. Where you'll want to select "Install" and then when asked where you want to install, you'll want to remove all partitions and start fresh.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@afccarl666: It says "SESSION3_INITIALIZATION_FAILED" , and then at the bottom; "*** STOP: 0x0000006F (0xC0000020, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000")"

@David Lundin: I hooked up another Hard Drive to check and see if the disk was corrupt, but other than that, nothing has been added/changed.

@simpswr: I don't think so, the HDD doesn't say SATA. It's made by LITE-ON CORP. , MODEL SOHW-1633S. DVD/CD REWRITABLE DRIVE.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@simpswr: I can't tell what brand/model is... I dont see anything that says that on the computer. When it boots up it says Phoenix though. I guess it was custom built or something? *My uncles computer*

Sorry, I don't really know much about all of this stuff. Thank you all for trying to help though. :(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.