Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought a new computer and am setting it up at the moment. I have bought a new Samsung T220HD Monitor which has two HDMI inputs, one DVI and loads of other connections including optical audio in.

The monitor has inbuilt speakers (2.1) and to improve the sound, I had an idea to use the inbuilt monitor speakers and my current standard speakers together (I haven't done this yet)

My computer has an nVidia GeForce 9500GT Graphics card, and a simple sound card. What I want to do is get video and audio to the monitor in addition to getting audio to my normal speakers.

The computer itself does not have a HDMI port, but it does have DVI.

Now, if I were to upgrade the sound card so I can get Optical audio out, would I be able to use:

-DVI for video to monitor
-Optical audio out for audio to monitor
-Normal 3.5mm TRS for audio to speakers.

Would this work? (i.e. would i be able to get sound from optical and 3.5mm TRS at the same time??

Also, if you have any other suggestions as to how I could improve.

This is a newly built computer so I can get the company to change any of its specs, so please suggest :)

Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
If you are still looking, useing a Creative X-fi card it is possible.

Doesn't seem to matter which one. Just keep in mind that the Xtreme Audio version is a rebranded Audigy card and most of the X-fi technology is done in software which means that your cpu is going to take a hit, whereas if you went with the XtremeGamer, everything is done in hardware and audio is much lighter on the cpu. Whether you see this 'hit' depends on how fast your cpu is (3.0 Ghz won't see much of a difference).

Pauldo

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.