Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

now I have my system up and running fine, or pretty fine anyway. One thing I noticed (thanks to the G15 keyboard LCD display) is that my RAM usage (4x 512Mb Corsair XMS) is at a constant 21-22% when idling.

I took a screenshot of the processes running (at this point with Azureus the usage was at about 27%):

I'm pretty ok with computers, but the one thing I haven't really experimented/messed with much before is the system settings such as programs which are started in the background during boot and so on.

What can I try to improve the performance?

On a sidenote, I don't know if it's related, I have noticed that sometimes when I shutdown or restart the computer, it's done in a few secs, yet sometimes it takes a minute or two for it to actually do so. Icons slowly disappearing from the activity tray bottom right.... any suggestions?

I'm using AVG Free and for a firewall it's the ISP which has a good one, so I'm not using one on my own computer. Haven't checked for spyware or so, lost the links/names to the good programs for it.

*edit*
Upon quickly glancing through the list, I see that a bunch of programs are listed several times, i.e. CLI.EXE and SVCHOST.EXE...

No idea what it does, but 3 times seems even to me rather unnecessary?

I'd be grateful for any suggestions. Perfectly willing to go into Administration tools and such, as long as I get some guidance in what I disable/remove etc.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Well your CPU usage there isn't actually 27% but 3%. 97% idle which is nothing to worry about. You have ATI GPU so CLI.exe is ATI Technologies Catalyst Control Center in C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.exe. You should check both of them to see why you have 2 instances of the same one running there.
The svchost.exe is legitimate and a very central and crucial Windows process. Each one harbors many services needed for Windows to function.

There's nothing wrong but the P2P software on there that I can see.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wasn't complaining about the CPU usage, but the RAM usage. :wink: I don't know if it's normal that 22% out of 2Gb is used when running Idle?

Plus the slow restarting/shutting down makes me feel there are some processes going on which shouldn't really be there?

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Sorry you're correct, my mistake. The stars looked nice-er today :sad: I think I'm officially tired.

Well, RAM usage depends on what you have running on your system. The more you have running at that moment in time, the more that'll be used up of the total you have. As long as you're not using swap space much, its all ok and its not a hindrance to your system. So you can have near enough 2GB full or 90% RAM used and you're still OK, because you've provided that amount of physical space. If you shut down Azureus, as its the only process showing higher usage (69MB) you're total will drop, but there really is nothing wrong with 22% being used. Mine is 35% used right now with some security software and a browser running.

Everything that is ran by "Administrator" there can more or less be closed with your system still running. Bear in mind though, that you'll have to look-up the processes before closing them down. Your CPU is idling at 97%, so your system can obviously easily manage with the 22% RAM you have full.

Anyway, for the slow startup and slowdown troubleshoot your processes and services.
Get into Start>Run>type: msconfig and hit enter. Under the "Startup" tab, see what you have running on system startup and uncheck them to enable them one by one and see if that speedsup your start-up and shutdown. Under the "Services" tab, check hide all MS services and disable the remaining services (you can get picky here) and then reboot your system to see if everything startsup at normal speed. Re-enable them one by one to see which service is the culprit.

I suggest you do just the processes first and then work on the services once all the processes are in the clear.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kalim thanks for the help. I've disabled some stuff, doesn't make much difference but I got rid of some doubles and haven't noticed anything missing really, or working wrong. It does seem to boot and shutdown faster :beerchug:

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Joris:

as I dont think you have any real "problem" you arent going to see any big improvement from much of anthing you "tweak"

as far as ram goes, try to use all of 2 gigs :laugh: ~~~~~good luck!

its darn hard to do; 1.5 gigs can be achieved but using up that last 512 is real booger :laugh:

there are programs like counterspy (download the free 15 day trial)
that have a start-up program utility with it
this will allow you to stop some proprams temporarily then reboot and see if it helps, this can be doen without essential stuff being messed with; like the windows "guts" :grin:

try it and let us know the results of your trials

http://www.sunbelt-software.com/CounterSpy.cfm

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I might if I find the motivation, thanks :smile:

But right now all is working fine and I should really spend some time doing my PhD work :sigh:

I was mostly wondering if it's normal that 300-400Mb of RAM is 'permanently' in use. I hope it doesn't wear down the bottom 25% of my sticks :grin:

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
ahahahahhah Funny Joris :laugh:

you could rotate your sticks so not only the bottom 25% portion gets used :wink:

its rather normal that 25% of your memory will be in use or "reserved" really at idle, dont forget your windows cache will he holding some of your memory in reserve to reopen programs and similar tasks. (like the recent documents)

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
I think linderman has covered it up pretty well :pray:

There is absolutely no issue with such usage. Its basically what the RAM is made for. RAM doesn't function like the CPU; fluctuating and used on real-time demand but it functions as in holding data (modules, threads etc) of the processes & services you're running on your system. It will be pretty much the same once the application is loaded into the memory, with not much fluctuation unless you instruct a command/task which loads more resources or one which requires a larger capacity...

Hows the startup and shutdown time now?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I haven't honestly shut it down and started it up much, but it seems better.

I had some weird issue with the desktop settings reverting to winXP everytime after a reboot as well, but that seems over now. I.e. it remembers my last settings.

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, the shutting down and restarting IS much faster. Unfortunately, the reason I got to test it more now is because I'm experiencing some system hangings or such today.

I'm downloading stuff, listening to music, got Excel (2007) running, copying stuff between harddisks... and then twice now while I was clicking something (Mozilla firefox involved there!) it would kinda freeze... can move the mouse, but not actively click anything. CTRL + ALT + DEL no reaction, windows button nothing. The music kept playing for a while longer though, also something else kept going in the background as the HD light kept flashing initially.

The 2nd time it occured the CPU usage went up to around 50% after a while.

But no reaction to anything whatsoever.

Any ideas what can cause this? I'm not getting any error message, reboot or anything else, just all seems to hang and doesn't respond to anything anymore.

I'm running the Corsair XMS memory (CMX512-3200C2PRO) at the timings given in their pdf file (2-3-3-6), and have their voltage up at 2.85V it is, I believe.

Come to think of it, and checking their site, CMX512-3200C2PRO seems to be single modules, not TwinX matched pairs. Perhaps I have dual channel enabled but shouldn't? I'm not really sure of how the dual channel exactly works and what demands it has for the memory, these are 4 identical units I have but perhaps aren't fully dual channel compatible regardless?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.