Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a socket lga775 630 cpu which runs at 3.0 ghz and has a prescott core. The thing idles at 50*C! And with just a bit of basic computing it will go well over 60*! What is the safe operating temps for these things?

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Hello, welcome to the forum, yes, those temps are a bit high, although not uncommon for a prescott cpu. I would suggest that you remove and reinstall your heatsink over the cpu using artic silver 5 following these directions: AS5 application instructions you may consider an aftermarket heatsink such as the Zalman cpns7000 which in combo with AS5 will improve your cooling. Make sure you have adequate ventilation in the case and that cables and such are not blocking airflow. All of these items can be purchased from Newegg Please post back with your results.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
twajetmech said:
Hello, welcome to the forum, yes, those temps are a bit high, although not uncommon for a prescott cpu. I would suggest that you remove and reinstall your heatsink over the cpu using artic silver 5 following these directions: AS5 application instructions you may consider an aftermarket heatsink such as the Zalman cpns7000 which in combo with AS5 will improve your cooling. Make sure you have adequate ventilation in the case and that cables and such are not blocking airflow. All of these items can be purchased from Newegg Please post back with your results.
What is the highest temperature the cpu can handle safely? It just reached 80*C while I was playing unreal tounament. I shut it down in fear of overheating.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
If I remember correctly 90C should be the limit, though I would have done the same as you and shut down earlier. You should make sure in the bios that Q-fan....if your mobo has it is disabled (Asus mobo's) You should definitly remove that heatsink and apply AS5...make sure your cpu fan is working and at full power

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
twajetmech said:
If I remember correctly 90C should be the limit, though I would have done the same as you and shut down earlier. You should make sure in the bios that Q-fan....if your mobo has it is disabled (Asus mobo's) You should definitly remove that heatsink and apply AS5...make sure your cpu fan is working and at full power
Yeah, I know someone who has some spare artic silver5. I just set my monitoring utility to alert me if the temp goes over 88*C. Do you think its safe to fire up a game of UT?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
twajetmech said:
I'd hold off on UT untill you get those temps down....no need to potentially fry a new cpu
Thanks for the help so far, I really appreciate it. Can you reccomend a aftermarket cpu cooler (preferably not a tall one, I have very little room in the micro atx case)?

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

TWA is giving you good advice. Just a side note to make sure you have a fan in front pulling in cool air, a fan in back blowing out hot air and the heatsink fan is blowing DOWN, and not pulling air up. Also, move any wires that restrict air flow (I recommend the round ones instead of the ribbon cables) through the case.

I am never confortable with any computer that shows above 63c at the highest temperature under-stress. Actually, the factory heatsink and fan should do the job for you if your artic silver is put on correctly and if you have made sure you have case cooling with a steady air flow. Just be very careful about turbulance in the case with fans that are blowing toward each other.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tumbleweed36 said:
Hi,

TWA is giving you good advice. Just a side note to make sure you have a fan in front pulling in cool air, a fan in back blowing out hot air and the heatsink fan is blowing DOWN, and not pulling air up. Also, move any wires that restrict air flow (I recommend the round ones instead of the ribbon cables) through the case.

I am never confortable with any computer that shows above 63c at the highest temperature under-stress. Actually, the factory heatsink and fan should do the job for you if your artic silver is put on correctly and if you have made sure you have case cooling with a steady air flow. Just be very careful about turbulance in the case with fans that are blowing toward each other.
I only have one 120mm fan in the back of my matx case and room for no more. For some reason my psu is sucking air from outside my case and putting hot air in it. Also one of the fans on my psu is blocked by one of the cases sides. This is kind of a weird matx case and I am considering getting a pci fan or maybe a 5.25inch bay fan.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Andrew0987 said:
I only have one 120mm fan in the back of my matx case and room for no more. For some reason my psu is sucking air from outside my case and putting hot air in it. Also one of the fans on my psu is blocked by one of the cases sides. This is kind of a weird matx case and I am considering getting a pci fan or maybe a 5.25inch bay fan.
Hi,

A 120mm fan is great for the back of your case IF IT IS PULLING WARM AIR OUT OF THE CASE, but if it is sucking air in, then turn it around. You should have a case fan in front (look in the lower area in front for a bracket, most have a place there) pulling cool air in.

Know what, you might want to get rid of that case, IF IT IS IMPOSSIBLE to cool it properly or part of the case is blocking the air flow. If you don't get this solved, you could fry your motherboard and CPU and that is big bucks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Tumbleweed36 said:
Hi,

A 120mm fan is great for the back of your case IF IT IS PULLING WARM AIR OUT OF THE CASE, but if it is sucking air in, then turn it around. You should have a case fan in front (look in the lower area in front for a bracket, most have a place there) pulling cool air in.

Know what, you might want to get rid of that case, IF IT IS IMPOSSIBLE to cool it properly or part of the case is blocking the air flow. If you don't get this solved, you could fry your motherboard and CPU and that is big bucks.
Well the case is a bit like a shuttle pc case:
____---_ <-120mm fan blowing out
l...........l
lpsu cpu l
l...........l
l...........l
l...........l
--------- <-vents on the front sides.

The case layout is ok IMHO.
O suppose it may be the thermal paste. I had to remove the heatsinkafter I had originally installed it. There are probably air bubbles in it.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I, too, had a hot running prescott 3.2ghz, and i found that the stock heatsink was really quite light, small and insignificant.

It also didn't really fit on the board/processor very tight, creating a loose bond between the sink and cpu, only contributing to high temperatures.

I went with a Coolermaster Copper heatsink with backplate, and some arctic silver. I was able to tighten down the heatsink for a nice mechanical bond, and was able to get the idle temps down 20c, and under stress down 30c.

I'm unfarmiliar with your case, but the sink i got is rather tall and may not work with your case :(

Just my own experience.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rashiki said:
I, too, had a hot running prescott 3.2ghz, and i found that the stock heatsink was really quite light, small and insignificant.

It also didn't really fit on the board/processor very tight, creating a loose bond between the sink and cpu, only contributing to high temperatures.

I went with a Coolermaster Copper heatsink with backplate, and some arctic silver. I was able to tighten down the heatsink for a nice mechanical bond, and was able to get the idle temps down 20c, and under stress down 30c.

I'm unfarmiliar with your case, but the sink i got is rather tall and may not work with your case :(

Just my own experience.
Do you know the height of the stock cpu?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Just dug it out of my spare parts box, the fan/heatsink itself measures 2 5/8", around 67mm or so. That is from the bottom of the metal legs themselves to the top of the fan. Obviously you'd want more space than that for airflow :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rashiki said:
Just dug it out of my spare parts box, the fan/heatsink itself measures 2 5/8", around 67mm or so. That is from the bottom of the metal legs themselves to the top of the fan. Obviously you'd want more space than that for airflow :)
Thanks, exactly what I wanted to know. :sayyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.