Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I recently started noticing alot of noise being generated from my computer. And after opening it up, i had a look at the fan and it was caked in dust (ashamed! :upset: ) So i gave it as best a clean as i could, without actually removing the fan (im pretty new to computers and figured its best that way) and after some research i read up on some programmes to monitor temp. So i went ahead and downloaded Core Temp, and my average reading is sitting around 55 on core O and 57 on core 1, which again after some reading seems higher than usual. I also stumbled across a forum mentioning Prime95 for testing your cpu, and after reading up some, i went ahead and tested (no overclocking, just stock) and it shot up to 95c on core temp, and i ended the test there before it got any higher, seemed the safe thing to do.

Anyone got any ideas if this is safe? or a fix.
Im not the most computer literate person around, but ill give it my best to get you as much information as requested. thanks!
jon

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Check your temps in the Bios.

PC Specs?
PreBuilt--Brand name & Model Number
Custom Build--Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU.

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
as said by Tyree check the temps in the BIOS

What are the specs of your system?

Your temps are too high but we need to know what may be causing it so give us the information asked for and we can help

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks for the speedy replys, it was pre-built at a computer store. (not a brand like pc world, dell etc, just a place you could go and ask them to built you a computer tailored for your needs, eg Gaming, Business etc)

Straight from DXDIAG
BIOS: Default System Bios
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66Ghz (2CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Page file: 2624MB used, 3771MB Available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Display
Name: Ati Radeon HD 4800 Series
Chip Type: ATI display adapter (0x9440)
DAC Type: Internal DAC (400Mhz)
Approx Total Memory: 1894MB

Im running windows 7 Ultimate - 64bit

Some more info gathered,
Motherboard name ASRock ConRoe1333-D667
Motherboard chipset Intel Lakeport-G i945GC
Bios Type AMI (07/17/07)

DMI Bios Version P1.30
Vendor American Megatrends Inc

Hopefully this is usefull! anything else needed ill do my best to get for you

Thanks for persevering with my slight newbishness ^^

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sorry, checked Bios from startup quickly,
as follows

CPU TEMP is 63c
M/B TEMP is 46c
CPU fan speed is 3400rpm
Chassis fan speed N/A

Vcore
+3.30v :1.336v
+5.00v :3.488v
+12.00v :5.288v
:12.196v

CPU Quiet fan disabled

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
please tell us what power supply you have in there. If you do not know then you have to open up the computer and look at the label on the psu.

Your temps are far too hot.

Have you cleaned out any dust with some compressed air. If there is no dust then you may have to take the cpu cooler of the cpu, clean of the thermal paste and apply some new paste, then reattach the cooler.

if those are the true 12v, 3.3 and 5v readings then your psu is faulty and could be causing the overheating issue but I would suggest you re-do the thermal paste anyway and clean out any dust.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey, thanks again
sorry if im being abit silly ^^ but isnt
"Vcore
+3.30v :1.336v
+5.00v :3.488v
+12.00v :5.288v
:12.196v <-- what ur after ill restart now and have another look incase i missed something (not really dabbled with bios before)
also when i get back from restarting ill have the PSU =)

thanks again

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vcore :1.336v
+3.30v :3.488v
+5.00v :5.288v
+12.00v :12.196v is all im getting in BIOS menu sorry =(
and as for the PCU its a Thermaltake, toughpower, 700W
hopefully ive supplied all you need =) again thanks, and if theres anything else ill get it posted

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry!! just re-read your message, restarted and didnt see you checked the 12,3.3 and 5v readings.

Ah ok, so basicly my best option is to invest in some thermal paste and clean it out thurely. Another dawn-ting task!

Thanks for all the help =) guess i best go look up some guides on removing fans and thermal pasting! ^^

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Remove the power cable from the back of the computer. Look at the back of your computer case and remove any screws from the right side if your case needs to be unscrewed before it is opened. Remove the computer case cover and set it aside.
Remove the small fan power connector from the motherboard pins. You'll be using these power pins later when installing the new cooler assembly so don't forget where they are.
Turn the small caps on each corner of the heatsink 90 degrees counterclockwise and pull up on the cap. This unfastens the CPU cooler from the motherboard. Twist the heatsink and fan assembly slightly to break any remaining thermal compound seal and set the cooling unit aside.

Thoroughly clean the old paste from the CPU & heatsink with 90% alcohol.

Put thermal compound on top of the CPU. You should only need a small dot of the thermal compound to do the job.
Line the legs of the heatsink up with holes surrounding the CPU socket in the motherboard. Lower the cooling assembly into the holes. Press the corner caps in to secure the heatsink to the motherboard. The caps will click when they are properly installed in the motherboard holes. Plug the fan's power cable into the motherboard's power pins. Put your computer case cover on and insert the power cable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks a bunch! its well and truly appreciated, its a tad late to start tinkering now, but ill most definitely be having a look at this tomorrow.
And ill get back to you and let you know the result/any troubles

Again, thank you greatly! always a great help to have someone that knows what theyre talking about on your side. i shall report back tomorrow and hopefully be posting some nice low temps ^^!
From reading through it doesnt seem too difficult, so all being well ill be up and running tomorrow.

Take care for now, and thanks a million! be hearing from me tomorrow

·
Registered
15 Posts
cleaning the dust without removing fan doesn't give u the best result... remove the fan u can see dust layer spread over the heat sink, use air blower or tooth brush is good enough...

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
cleaning the dust without removing fan doesn't give u the best result... remove the fan u can see dust layer spread over the heat sink, use air blower or tooth brush is good enough...
there might not be any dust under the cooler but there could be everywhere else so just compressed air will do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.