Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I recently upgraded my motherboard and CPU (specs at the end) and ever since I've done that, I get a high CPU/Memory/Disk usage. I'm not sure why, since I never encountered such a problem with my older motherboard and cpu. I've tried lots of things that were posted online where people had similiar problems but nothing could fix it.

Does anybody have an idea as to what causes it? Could the hardware be defect? I doubt it, I personally think it has something to do with Windows 10. At this point it's quite frustrating since nothing seems to work, I'm not good with computers so I lack a lot of knowledge when it comes to these things. Hopefully one of you has had a problem like that and fixed it or knows how to fix it. Furthermore I am sure that I have installed everything correctly and that all cables are where they should be.

Motherboard: ASUS Prime B360M-K
CPU: Intel Core i3-8100
RAM: Crucial CT8G4DFS824A.C8FHD1 1x8GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon RX 560-B
HDD: WD Blue 1TB, Toshiba MQ01ABD050 500GB

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team
2,464 Posts
After upgrading your mobo/cpu....did you do a clean install of windows 10? Did you install all your mobo drivers? Only running 1 stick of RAM is not recommended....system runs better with a dual channel (2 sticks) setup. No mention of PSU.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After upgrading your mobo/cpu....did you do a clean install of windows 10? Did you install all your mobo drivers? Only running 1 stick of RAM is not recommended....system runs better with a dual channel (2 sticks) setup. No mention of PSU.
Thank you for replying. Yes, I did a clean install of windows 10 and I have also installed all mobo drivers. I had used only 1 stick of RAM on my previous mobo and it was fine but I can see how 2 would be better. My PSU is a Xilence 400W.
I would like to add that I get spikes whenever I open up a program but after that it usually goes down to a low value. I have tried League of Legends to see how it would run and it didnt go above 30%, both CPU and Disk usage. The CPU temperature is around 31°C and the Mobo temp around 35°C in case you need to know.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team
2,464 Posts
Never heard of that PSU before....it might be that PSU is not regulating the power effectively enough (clean power). Low end and cheap PSUs will do that.

What brand is that GPU...XFX, Gigabyte, EVGA?

It just might boil down to the low end CPU you've chosen and GPU, along with just 1 stick of RAM.

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, Acting
34,376 Posts
I recently upgraded my motherboard and CPU (specs at the end) and ever since I've done that, I get a high CPU/Memory/Disk usage.
How do you know this?

i.e., What app(s) are you using to measure CPU, RAM and HDD usage that tells you they are "high"?

To properly measure RAM/memory usage for a certain app, download Process Explorer from Microsoft.

For HDD usage - download Process Monitor from Microsoft.

CPU - Process Explorer would do just fine.

These apps that I have mentioned are stand alone executables from Microsoft SysInternals, so no program installation is required. After downloading and extracting the contents of each zip file, simply RIGHT-click on each; select "Run as Administrator".

Process Explorer - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Process Monitor - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

I suggest that you download the zip files to \Documents or \Desktop and extract the contents of each zip file to the same.

In Process Explorer, select "View" then "Select Columns". Be sure that CPU and Working Set are checked. CPU is obvious; Working Set is the column for memory usage.

After setting ProcExp columns up, sort the listing by name (click on the word Process to sort the EXE's names. Then, sort by CPU column by clicking on CPU. It will show you the apps that are consuming most of the CPU.

To try and figure out HDD usage, Process Monitor (ProcMon) records EVERY disk file and registry I/O. ProcMon will be more difficult to work with. You'll have to turn "capture" off within 30-60 seconds as even that brief time may result in ProcMon capturing millions of records. Once you have captured x-number of records, you'll want to use ProcMon's summary features. You can summarize by path, file name, and others.

Good luck to you.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

·
Moderator , Windows Tech Team , Hardware Tech T
Operating Systems || Hardware || Most Tech Stuff
2,980 Posts
I don't see anything alarming as such, there are a high number of svchost processes, so I would probably go to Programs and Features and uninstall applications which are no longer required.

Disk usage is at 100% or high load, but again, if you have taken the screenshot a few minutes after the OS booted, chances are this may not be the correct picture.

I would first start to run the Hard disk test from the hard disk manufacturer's website. Additionally, if you have not properly uninstalled old drivers and installed the new drivers for the motherboard, this could be a contributor as well.

If the HDD comes up clean in the tests, I'd recommend backing up your data, doing a complete wipe, re-partition and install of Windows.

·
Moderator, - Microsoft Support,BSOD Kernel Dump A
Olfactory training for spam detection.
5,815 Posts
I see nothing out of the ordinary either.

Chrome is a known memory hog, the sites it has open will contribute to CPU%.

Any recent HDD will manage 60-130+ MB/s throughput, your images indicate that the drive was never idle during the last 60 seconds, the actual HDD I/O usage appears to be minimal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.