Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

High CPU Fan Speed

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  clonxy 
#1 ·
Hi,

I just bought the mugen 3 off newegg. It's temp is around 33C at idle, but it runs at 1600 fan speed. Why is that? It's very loud at 1600 RPM.

I installed speedfan and adjusted the fan speeds to 0% (but the fans are actually going at 860 RPM). Temps are still 33-40C. It jumps around.

So I learned that it doesn't even need the fan to cool the cpu. Why is the fan going so high when it's not needed?

CPU: Intel i7 920 @ 2.667ghz (stock speeds)
Motherboard: Asus P6T deluxe
Memory: 12gb ddr3 tripple channel

#3 ·
Is it really that audible? The fan running at full speed is actually good for the CPU.

Anyway, I think you have the CPU Fan hooked up straight to the Power Supply, using a 4pin molex connector, which is why it is always running at full speed.

You need to hook it up to the sysfan or cpufan header (look up the mobo manual) on your motherboard, for the speed to vary according to the temperature. I think you'll need a converter for this.

#4 ·
I just upgraded from the stock cooler. I inserted the 4 pin PWM fan of my new mugen 3 into the cpu header where the stock cooler use to be. It's labeled "CPU Fan" so I can't insert into the wrong place.

it isn't as loud as my pny 470 going at 100% fan speed, but its very audible. I bought the new heatsink so that I wouldn't have to hear any fan noise.

I've never overclocked and my cpu has always been running at stock speeds. I don't plan on doing so either cause it still handles everything I throw at it. I ran prime95 for about 15 mins with the fan at 800ish RPM and max temps were 61C. idles between 33-45C.

#5 ·
Review Chapter 3 of your motherboard manual; specifically section 3.6.6 (power menu >> hardware monitor).
Confirm Cpu Q-Fan Control is enabled. You may also want to enable Chassis Q-Fan Control.

#7 ·
The fan is still going quickly because it is still needed, 33-45C is a good temp but the cooler the CPU the better. Not to mention 1600 for a CPU fan is not that fast at all. In the event of the CPU heating up the CPU fan will increase even above normal level. I've seen fans that say the max is 2000 RPM go to 3000 RPM when the CPU temp increased from CPU testing software like Prime95 or Orthos.

#8 ·
The max fan speed for mugen 3 is 1600+/- 10%.

I went to the bios and changed the fan control from "standard" to "silent", but that was giving me a cpu fan error after see the "hit del for bios" screen. It asks me to press f1 to resume. I went back to the bios and selected "ignored" cpu fan RPM's and the cpu fan error disappeared.

I hope nothing is broken. I just received the heatsink today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.