Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any other way to hide (block yours from going out) an ip number, without paying hundreds of dollars to a 3rd party ip server?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
No. Whatever you're trying to talk to (web server, etc.) has to know where to respond to.

The 3rd Party IP server you're talking about - some kind of Proxy Service on the web that makes your traffic "anonymous"? Like www.anonymizer.com?

·
STILL Stuck in a treestand....
929 Posts
Every time you log on your computer is given an IP. It changes about everytime you log on. There's no way to hide it. Why would you want to hide it anyway?

S

·
0 Posts
It changes with dialup! I'm on cable and mine only changes once or twice a year. I'm not sure about DSL. I think it has a lot to do whether or not you have a static connection or not.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Yeah it changes less if your on Cable or DSL, but anyway there's absolutely no way to hide an IP address -- the computer your talking to would have no idea where to send the packets to if it didn't have an address. If you go through an anon. proxy ... that would be your only way ... and that would not hide the IP it would just tell the target computer to send the info to the proxy which would then route it to you ... its slower and less secure, not to mention allot of Anon proxy's are banned by webmasters because people think they can do anything they want through them and not get caught (not true by the way, if you get the FBI or any agency after you for something you do on-line -- they can trace you right through the proxy's so don't think your invincible if you use one.)

Like Drupy says ... why are you wanting to?

·
Registered
259 Posts
What about IPCONFIG /RENEW_ALL

I don't know what OS you're using.

That is the command for Win98.

This will renew your IP Address.
I don't know about DSL or cable, but I dial up and I renew mine frequently when I am at home. Just because I am a geekgurl and because I can pppffffttt HA HA HA!!!

-=*TC*=-

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
That will get you a new IP address (sometimes) but it still wont prevent your new address being sent to any machine you connect to on the Internet. :brush:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Folks I guess I will have to live with it. The reason I ask is that I hate leaving a trace everywhere I go. I have nothing to hide I just don't like leaving a trail. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Well, imagine trying to communicate with someone and you expect an answer, but they don't know who to reply to.

The ONLY reason someone would really want to hide their IP is if they're a Cracker - evil hacker - and they want to "spoof" their address to crack another system.

And this is possible ... but if you want to know how to do it, you'll just have to figure it out ... ;)

As far as changing IP's with dial up/cable/dsl - you're getting an address from a Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol server. When you release it, your system is telling the server you don't need the address anymore and it can free up the resource (because it has a limited number of them). If you renew, immediately, the server has the ability to remember your MAC address and will likely give you the same address if it hasn't been leased to someone else.

If you have an always on connection - such as cable or dsl - your side will begin contacting the server to renew the address when it is half way through the lease period. If it can contact the server, it will renew and then wait for half the renewed period. If not, it will keep trying periodically.

HTH

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok Im not a hacker or slacker. I will fess up ok. I run a message board and don't like having my ip number exposed thats all.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Unless your dealing with someone thats really good, there's no way to trace you using your IP address anyway. The most someone would be able to get would be the last hop the information took before it reached your system. A whois or trace would not give away your information such as exact name or address or anything. So the common person would not be able to find out much except the general area your in and what ISP you are using.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I have to disagree with you Tech. If you're running a website, it's pretty easy to get someone's address.

And if you have NT or Linux it's pretty easy too, if, as they say, they're running a discussion board and the other person is sending traffic directly to them. One could simply run NetMon on NT and see the traffic. If someone is running a website, it's pretty common knowledge on the net how to do the scripting to report the IP address.

It's not the IP address that changes on each hop - it's the MAC address of the source that will be changed.

---------------

But, this is the way the IP Protocol was designed. It HAS to have a source and destination IP address in order for communication to occur. It's a TWO WAY conversation. The only way to "hide" an IP is to substitute it with a Proxy or with Network Address Translation. Either way, the conversation still has to, technically, be traceable.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
:D I did not mean it would be hard to find an IP address, I meant physical address from an IP address. Such as xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx = 3421 Someroad Ln. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Serious question guys...I have a friend on another message board...He posts behind an alias...The other guys on that board claim that they as users...Not moderators...Can see his IP address and out him...Is there any truth to this claim?

Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.