6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HP Pvillion dv6-1330ep
Windows 7 x64
Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T6600 @ 2.20GHz
RAM 4.0GB DDR3
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650
IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

This happens in almost every video game that I play, and when I try to watch a video. But it doesn't always happen, some times everything is perfect, and some times it's impossible to enjoy anything.

In videos, it happens in a similar way in many media players (tried Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic, GOM Player, VLC). The video plays normally for a minute or two, then the image freezes for a second, and then continues, skipping some frames. Some times the audio stutters too.
I watched 30 minutes of the same video I was trying to watch on Ubuntu, and there there were absolutely no freezes watsoever. Everything was perfect.

In video games, the problem happens in different ways, probably depending on the way the games are made. Here are some examples:

Dragon Age II: During dialog, the character is speaking normally, and then the voice suddenly stops, while the lips keep moving. Then, the voice comes back, continuing from the point it had stopped, and the lips go back to be synced with the voice. Some times the game itself freezes too for a second, but it is rare. The dialog thing is not rare at all.

Half-Life, Half-Life 2 and HL2 Episodes: The entire game freezes and stutters, the video stops for a second while the sound loops for that time. It seems like it happens often when playing a sound for the first time in that session, like if I shoot the pistol for the first time that day it will always freeze. This is one of the games that is most affected. I cam e to a workaround for this in HL2, which is the command "snd_async_fullyasync 1". When I use this command, the stuttering is greatly reduced, making the game playable, but it still happens from time to time.

Assassins Creed: Brotherhood: Similar to Dragon Age II, but the lips are almost never synced and the voices interlap some times (two people talking at the same time).

Magicka: The entire game stutters in the begining, but after some minutes of playing it plays normally.

Minecraft: The game keeps micro freezing randomly.

In Minecraft, I noticed that when the freezes occour, the CPU usage drops to 0%. It probably happens in al the other ones, but only checked with Minecraft.

The only game I played where nothing related to this happened was GTA IV, which I find kind of ironic, being such a hard game to run well usually. But maybe I was just lucky.

I would really apreceate if anyone could provide some help, I am really desperate. I am right now on a newly formated system, the only thing I installed were the Windows Updates (including some audio and video drivers), and it is already happening.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
CPU Usage Drops To 0% Randomly

HP Pvillion dv6-1330ep
Windows 7 x64
Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T6600 @ 2.20GHz
RAM 4.0GB DDR3
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650
IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

For some reason, whenever I'm using Windows 7, the CPU usage keeps droping down do 0% (or near that), which will make games and videos hang for a second, making it impossible to enjoy a video or to play a video game.
Any ideas on how I could fix this?
Thanks in advance.

·
TSF Emeritus
25,552 Posts
Hello Raicuparta and welcome to TSF,

When did you start having these issues? Do you remember adding any software prior to the problems?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think it is overheating, and is on the brink of re-starting. What you're mentioning were the symptoms of my HP/Compaq. Those the screen just freeze sometimes, making you unable to see anything else than a still-photo of the movie/game - while the audio is working ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it is overheating, and is on the brink of re-starting. What you're mentioning were the symptoms of my HP/Compaq. Those the screen just freeze sometimes, making you unable to see anything else than a still-photo of the movie/game - while the audio is working ?
The audio works some times, some times it doesn't.I'll check out the temps again soon, thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While there does seem to be a slight overheating problem, it isn't what's causing this, I'm pretty sure. I mean, 52ºC and it already hangs. And playing a game after some hours, it gets to 90ºC, and the behaviour is pretty much the same.

·
TSF Emeritus
25,552 Posts
Hello Raicuparta and welcome to TSF,

When did you start having these issues? Do you remember adding any software prior to the problems?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've tested the system just after a fresh install of Windows 7, the only thing that changed were some drivers that updated automatically, but I have tested with many different versions (the ones on the HP website for this model, the ones that Windows Update gives me, and the mos recent ones, which in most cases are all different versions).

·
Registered
720 Posts
While there does seem to be a slight overheating problem, it isn't what's causing this, I'm pretty sure. I mean, 52ºC and it already hangs. And playing a game after some hours, it gets to 90ºC, and the behaviour is pretty much the same.
Are those the CPU or GPU temps? 90C is hot for either.
Laptops don't make good platforms for gaming because of the lack of airflow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
if the laptop is overheating then you'll need to open it up and clean up the CPU heatsink (that copper rimmed block at the back side of the laptop). DO NOT fall for improvisations that say you should just use a vacuum cleaner and blow the dust into the laptop. That will cause even bigger problems. Instead, dismantle the laptop and do a thorough cleaning. From experience, I'd recomend a thorough cleanup every 6 months, but if you can afford the time, i.e. you love prodding the lapptop with screwdrivers, do it every three months. My office is all laptops, and I clean them up regularly. No problems with heat whatsoever.
The sound problem however, is not a heating issue. This is a "standard" failure on HP NX, DV and probably many other series and makes. Basically, the front side bus (controlling the sound card, modem, LAN, WiFi, etc) gets loose from the motherboard. Basically, this is a motherboard failure and you'll have to either repair the one you have, or get a new one.
I've done this repair more than I wanted to, so for more details see this post Hope it helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, that is awesome, probably the main problem :) I haven't cleaned my laptop because of the warranty, so I have to take it to repair, I'll try to explain them that I want them to clean it and repair the motherboard. Thank you very much, at least now I know that it Isn't a software issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.