Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently discovered hibernation mode and it is great (cut my boot time in 5) but are there any downsides to this? apart from the obvious hard drive usage (1024mb for me) which i dont mind much because i have a large hard drive, are any of you using it? if so, how much did it accelerate your boot time? if not and you know of it then why?

For those of you who don't know what hibernation mode is:

when you shutdown your pc it stores everything in the ram to your hard drive, then when you reboot it just reloads all that stuff back in very fast and will eliminate the long boot times alot of us dread. Anyone who wants to try it, do this: Right click on desktop>screen saver>Power>Hibernate>Enable hibernation, then when you shutdown do it as normal except when the shutdown window comes up hold shift and standby will turn into 'Hibernate', anyone who tries this please be aware that if you have not much hard drive space left it is NOT recommended. Well that was a lot longer than i thought it was gonna be.....oh well :4-dontkno

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
when i discovered it i used it like hell. unfortunately it corrupted my registries (no internet connection, swear!)

so hibernate isn't exactly th ebest thing in the world. In general, anythng in xp that doenst seem... humanly... is not good, ie system restore and hibernate.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe that was just bad luck on your part?

If this is a common issue then i should stop using hibernation mode, but i cant help it, so convenient......anyway so anyone else had the same issue as karusho? or another problem maybe? or you have been using it flawlessly since you started!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Good and bad

I've got hibernation working perfectly on a MSI 865PE motherboard. That is after 20 minutes it hibernates and I can return and touch the space bar and it wakes up. Excellent! Unfortunately if you google for issues there are all sorts. My P4C800-e Deluxe will standby but seems to not have the hibernation option. I've heard that when windows is installed it's best to have S3 resume enabled in bios. In the case of the P4C800-e Deluxe there are MB jumpers involved as well. I hope to replace the MSI MB with an Intel 875PBZLK and hope I'll be able to get hibernation to work. The feature is nice but most experts seem to say "STAY AWAY". Supposedly when you go into hibernation everything in RAM is written to the hibernation file which can be a security risk. No easy answers. I wish there was. I'd like to hear from anyone with the Asus or Intel MBs who have hibernation working.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you for your opinion/experience feddup, i want to hear from someone of ample experience with hibernation mode so that i can find out more about it, if what feddup says is true ('STAY AWAY' say the experts) then why?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
luk, when you use hibernate, it stores all your ram onto one big file on your hard drive. now, lets say theres a virus on your computer and your hard drive goes byebye. or when it saves to the file, something gets corrupted and your xp goes byebye.

either way, its just easy to corrupt.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Monkey!

Hey luk07 I like your signature! Some stuff makes me laugh for no logical reason.
As for the "experts" that said "stay away" from hibernation I can't remember the sources. I usually only give a concept credence if it's derived from many separate respect worthy sources. I have no bibliography for the "stay away" from hibernation idea but I did hear it independently many times. I've got it working well, by chance, on one system and will persue it on my other PCs. Tread cautiously! mileage may vary.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I would have to say I am one of the people that say "stay away" from hibernation. I think this dates back to the Win9x era. Hibernation and System Standby, for me, never worked correctly. I think this was more of a Microsoft problem but I believed they might have gotten it ironed out in XP. My home sytems NEVER use stand by or Hibernate and these systems stay on 24/7. Like the above has stated, when your system goes into hibernation, the current system state gets written to the hard drive. When you "wake up" the computer it pulls it off the drive and puts it back to the same state you were in before. It does not do a reboot or have to load system drivers.

I do use hibernation features on my laptops but not the standby feature (standby still seems flakey). I do notice that every once in a while, when the computer comes out of hibernation, the wireless card will not detect my network. I tried doing a repair, disable, re-enable. I end up rebooting the computer then it works just fine. This happens on all three of my laptops. (not a problem with the specific brand of laptop, three different laptops.) I have also noticed that programs will get flakey after a while and require a system reboot.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
yeah i have noticed that too, after running my computer for a week straight it began to run really slow and sometimes just stop but maybe thats just a heat problem.

Anyway, so hibernation mode, it's a matter of risk i guess, do you want to risk security and your system being executed for a few seconds of boredom? well i have to say no now that i think about it. Another thing I would like to point out is that i have now managed to cut my boot time in other ways and my computer now boots in 30secs. So, hibernation isn't as good as microsoft think it is according to many experts, why do they always provide us with all these useless features? :4-dontkno lol

ps. @feddup, same here! i found that somewhere on the internet and couldn't resist using it! :sayyes:

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
3,152 Posts
I've used standby on XP for a long time now, never had a problem. It's faster than hibernating, also I've had bad experiences hibernating, even in XP.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.