Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there group. I'm a 76 yr old male who wishes he had a little more home ec and a little less Latin.
I've recently had the desire to produce some leather goods for personal use. I started with punch and saddle stitching for some larger bags but now would like to pursue smaller items like wallets.
I'm using a Singer 4411 with walking foot, #18 leather needle and outdoor nylon top thread with a quilting bobbin thread.

And yes, I have questions...and problems!

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,120 Posts
Welcome.jpg

You've come to the right place to ask questions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, Here is the issue I'm currently facing. I'm on a singer 4411, 18 leather needle, nylon presser foot, Coates extra strong upholstery top thread and Standard Quilting thread in bobbin.

While sewing 2-3 layers of soft, thin leather my top thread will frequently shred before it hits the needle, jamming the machine or creating a rats nest or collecting the rats nest under the top place where I have to cut the threads off just above the bobbin cover.
I rethreaded entire machine, put in new needle, checked tensions ([email protected], bobbin @ factory set), width ), length 4, center needle, stitch rate very slow, 1-2 stitches per second (I slowed the machine down as far as possible).
The only setting which is not factory is the presser foot pressure. I have adjusted it several times based on the total thickness of the leather I'm sewing. Of course I have NO idea what the factory setting was, I'm playing it by ear, adjusting and testing (no noticeable affect).
Any suggestions out there? Why is my thread being balled and knotted just before the needle eye?
Thanks, horbinsr

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.