Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having lots of troubles with USB 2.0 support. My mother board is a ASUS P5GD2 Premium, which only has USB 2.0 ports but my Windows XP SP2 keeps popping up this error! I have some drivers, but they don't install because XP SP2 should already support USB 2.0. Maybe the cables that connect the USB ports are the problem...

regards

ps - some pictures

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Just to make sure the obvious happened (like I know that you probably did, but wanted to make sure) when you installed your OS.

Did you make sure to add all the drivers from your motherboard CD

Did you go to the device driver and then the USB area and expand it and right click and update drivers for each and every item under that heading?
Especially important is the Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller. Do ALL items under the heading.

O.K., I suppose you did that, but just asking as I evaluate where to go with this thread.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
It doesn't have anything to do with cables. You don't have an EHCI driver installed so it won't run at USB 2 speeds. It should look something like this:

One thing to check is that USB 2 speeds are enabled in the BIOS. You need "USB 2.0 Controller" set to "Enabled" and "USB 2.0 Controller Mode" set to "HiSpeed". Those are the default BIOS values but you should check them anyway.

The other thing you should check is that you installed the motherboard chipset drivers properly. If those aren't installed then it will only show up as USB 1 which is what your driver image looks like. The latest ones from intel are here. You could try installing these chipset drivers to see if the USB 2 hardware starts showing up. My motherboard uses a ICH5R (that's the Intel chip which provides the USB ports) so it's one version older than your ICH6R but my USB 2 doesn't show up until I install the chipset drivers. Yours is probably the same.

You shouldn't have to install any USB 2 driver because they have been included in Windows XP since SP1.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.