Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, well I recently just got a Acer Aspire 9300 laptop given to me. I was wondering what is the highest upgrade of CPU and memory I could upgrade it to.

Here are the specs when I got it.

Acer Aspire 9300
AMD Turion(tm) 64 mobile
Technology MK-38
2.21 GHz, 512mb ram, 2 sticks
Windows Vista Basic.

I have changed it quite a bit since I got it. I upgraded the memory to 1.21 Gb and installed Windows XP Professional.

I was wondering a few things.

1. What's the highest I can upgrade my cpu to?
2. Does the 64 mobile mean I have a 64 bit CPU, if so does this mean it would be better to install Windows 7 64 bit?
3. What's the max memory I could install on my system without frying the motherboard.

Thanks for your time,
Nemo296

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Determining CPU compatibility on OEM PC/laptops is very difficult. Contact Acer and ask what CPU's yours will accept.
More RAM will not damage the Mobo. Go to Crucial's site to determine the mas/compatible RAM your laptop will accept. http://www.crucial.com/
Windows 7 64Bit will work on your laptop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate, Supposebly my laptop can take 4gb ram, not bad.

As for contacting Acer, might be a problem. I looked into it and it said the motherboard I have in my laptop can support a AMD Turion 64 x2 Ultra 2.4ghz

·
Moderator; Hardware
19,889 Posts
When dealing with OEM hardware, it isn't just a matter of what the motherboard supports. You also need to know what is supported by the BIOS, and the only way to know for sure is to contact the vendor.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
The manufacturer is about the only place you can get the correct info. OEM PC's use Mobo's made for them and are not commonly the same as the retail equivalent.
Is there any particular reason for wanting to install a larger CPU? 2.21GHz is pretty decent for a laptop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.