Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just joined the forum. I've always had a passive interest in PC's but not to the point that i would have thought i wanted to build one. I was looking to buy a gaming pc unti it occured to me that i can get a better deal by building one. I have basic knowledge on pc building and i've been reading up a lot on the subject but have never built one before.

I was just wondering if the folloowing setup would go together and also if it would be good at playing games like fallout, gta, battlefield.

I've taken a lot of hints from the sticky thread about recommended components.

1.CPU

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz
Scan.co.uk: AMD CPU Phenom II 1090T Black Edition Six Core Processor - HDT90ZFBGRBOX

2.Mobo

Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 870 Socket AM3 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 870 Socket AM3 8 Channel Audio.. | Ebuyer.com

3.Graphics

MSI HD R6850 Cyclone 1GB GDDR5 Power Edition Dual DVI DP HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card
MSI HD R6850 Cyclone 1GB GDDR5 Power Edition Dual DVI.. | Ebuyer.com

4.PSU

Arctic Power 700W PSU - 4x SATA 1x PCI-Express
Arctic Power 700W PSU - 4x SATA 1x PCI-Express | Ebuyer.com

5.CPU cooling fan

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 Socket 775, 1156, 1155, 1366, AM2, AM3 Heatpipe CPU Cooler
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 Socket 775, 1156.. | Ebuyer.com

6.Memory

Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 XMS3 i5 Memory Kit CL9(9-9-9-24) 1.65V
Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 XMS3 i5.. | Ebuyer.com

7.Case

CM Storm Scout Case - 120mm and 2x 140mm Fans Included
CM Storm Scout Case - 120mm and 2x 140mm Fans Included | Ebuyer.com

8. ITB SATA hard drive
9. DVD+/-RW Op drive
10. Win7-64bit Home premium

Total cost £682

Would this build handle most games?

Thanks great forum you got here, hope i enjoy my time here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, if the six core cpu doesn't make a massive difference in gaming i might just go for X4 965 BE. I'll save a bit of money as well ;)

Do you know if this build would be good for gaming in general preferably in high settings? and will it all go together?

Sorry for all the questions, i'm still learning.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks for the info, if the six core cpu doesn't make a massive difference in gaming i might just go for X4 965 BE. I'll save a bit of money as well ;)

Do you know if this build would be good for gaming in general preferably in high settings? and will it all go together?

Sorry for all the questions, i'm still learning.
Since your primary goal is gaming on high settings, I would spend a little more on a 6870 or 6950 GPU, especially if you plan on gaming with a high resolution monitor.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
750W SeaSonic-XFX-Corsair for the PSU. The Corsair is the best bang for buck at this time.

2X2 GB RAM of 1066 or 1333MHz RAM will be more than sufficient and avoid problems.

Memory Standard DDR3 1866(OC)/1333/1066
*To reach DDR3 1866MHz or above, you must install two memory modules and install them in the DDR3_3 and DDR3_4 memory sockets.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
If the primary use is gaming i would defiantly go with the x4 over the x6.

If your budget allows stepping up to a 6870 would be a good choice although some 6850's can be clocked up to the same speed.

regardless of what card you get you should be able to max out games on a reasonable resolution with 40+ fps.

I will once again recommend an upgrade in the PSU, if you are not sure why i am suggesting this please read this thread: http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f210/power-supply-information-and-selection-192217.html

any of the PSUs in the "The Power Gaming Class" would be a good choice. I would personally go with the corsair 750w i suggest earlier.

I will also second what tyree said, to avoid problems with ram i would go with 1333. mushkin, g-skill, and corsair are good choices.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice guys.

The 6870 graphics card looks pretty good, i checked some vids of the card and X4 965 BE Cpu and it looks freakin awesome!!

Only thing that i'm slightly worried about is connecting all the power supply cables to the various components and other cables from mobo to components. Does the Mobo manual clearly show what cables go where?

Would this memory be good, its 1333?

Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz XMS3 Memory Kit CL9.. | Ebuyer.com

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes that Ram will work well.

When you build your PC follow this guild: http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f255/how-to-bench-test-your-system-171424.html

it should explain everything to you.

If you have any questions while building feel free to create a new thread here and we will help you out.
Thanks for the link laxer, very informative. One question on the bench method, once i get to the post screen,
do i leave the system switched on whilst i install the other components such as 2nd RAM stick, hard drives etc or do i power it down then add one more component, get to the post screen, verify its working and power down again, start cycle with next component?

Thanks.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
NO, turn off the PC and UNPLUG the power cord to the PSU before doing any work inside the case.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
for the initial build its best to test one component at a time. I will usually do it in series, plug in data drives (disk,hdd) test. ram + add ons test. if I find something acting up I will go one by one to diagnose it then run a proper test like memtest.

as tyree stated, unplug your psu and ground yourself before installing any components.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey guys, just wanted to give you an update on the porposed components i intend to go for. The've changed quite a bit after doing some reading around and want your opinion on it.

CPU---I5 2500K @£160
MOBO---MSI P67 @ £100
GPU---ATI Radeon HD 6870

The remaining components would be more or less the same. Will this setup be better for gaming over a amd 965 be setup, or will the difference be minimal?

Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.