Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem that I just can't figure out. can some one please help me.

The situation is this, my better half is sitting on the other side of the world with his new laptop. For the first 3 weeks no problems with email and internet etc.... he has no ISP to speak of just connecting to internet via local access numbers ranging from pre paid cards to number that the hotel has given him. First three weeks using a pre paid card for access then he went to another country which he then used the number given by hotel now back in original hotel also using number given by hotel. he has been using a hotmail account for email and now he can not send email. He can recieve it no problem. We thought maybe it was a hotmail prob so he tried to go to yahoo to set up account but whenever he tries to enter a password it is not accepted. So I set him up with an alias under my pop3 mail server which we are able to exchange emails from one alias to another but still same problem with not being able to send email to anyone else.

His computer is a brand new Dell inspirion with xp on it. he also has norton anti virus on it.

Can anyone help us two almost computer illerate people. We have tried deleting and re-enter email info also.

:confused:

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
When you use hotmail, are you using Outlook Express?

If you are using IE(Internet Explorer) to check mail on yahoo or hotmail:
Check your internet settings. Go to Tools, Internet Options, Then the Security tab. Click on the internet Icon. If it says "Custom", then click Restore Defaults. Click Apply. Do this for each icon at the top. Then Click the advanced tab. Click Restore defaults. Click Apply, then click ok.

You will get warnings about sending info over the internet. You can click "Never show this..." and click ok.

Something may have been clicked cancel that prevents your better half from posting to a website.

Good luck.

For Outlook Express please let me know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will tell him to do that in his internet explorer but yes he also has the above mentioned problem while using outlook express 6.

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
If you are using Outlook express for your alais under your ISP, there mail settings are usually secured to accept mail only from users on their network with an ip from their range. Your husband may not be able to "relay" from whatever dial-up he is using. You can call your isp and see if they offer SMTP authentication. If they do, just goto Tools--> Accounts--> Double click the mail account you setup. Click the servers tab and put a check in the my Outgoing mail server requires Authentication.

This will only work if your ISP supports it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.