Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I just got totally new everything for my computer. I got D865GBF Intel MainBoard, Pentium 4 3.0ghz processor, with 1024 ram. i installed it all and everything is perfect, until i get to the vid card. i bought a verto geforce fx 5200 ultra 128mb. and when i try to install the drivers it goes through the whole process and reboots, comes into windows updates the driver and then needs to reboot again, then this time when it reboots it shows the windows loading screen and after that when you think it is gonna go into windows it shows a black screen with a blinking underscore at the top left. and it just sits there.

any ideas on the the heck is wrong? i installed the drivers from the cd and it did this, so then i downloaded the drivers off nvidias site and it still does it.

HELP

THanks!

·
Registered
207 Posts
This doesn't look like a motherboard issue, so I would ask this question in the Video Card forum instead. Does this motherboard come with on board video? Also does Bios recognize this video card setting in the AGP slot? You have windows installed already so I have to ask what were you using before you installed this new video card? If you did use another video solution before you installed this card, did you first uninstall the previous video drivers? More information would go a long way in helping us track down this issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
i got the full new system i have reinstalled windows about 3 times because i first loaded the computer with the vid card installed then i did it using the onboard vid card. both times i have tried to install the new vid card drivers, before and after unstalling the onboard vid card drivers.... dont know how to disable it in bios thou.

thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Find the name of your BIOS when your pc first starts up. Note It Down.

Depending on what BIOS you have yours may differ from these..Mine is F8 on boot up these may help you

the most commonly used and even an alternative way to enter BIOS Setup in DOS mode.

To enter the BIOS during boot up hold down one of the following keys:
Hold down the Del key
Hold down the F1 key
Hold down the F10 key

To enter the BIOS from a DOS prompt...
(NOT from inside Windows)
Alt Ctrl Esc
Alt Ctrl Enter
Ctrl Alt A
Ctrl Alt S

Some manufacturers have their own way for entering BIOS. Here are some of the harder to find, Brand specific, ways of entering BIOS setup.
Find you computer Brand\Make below:

Acer - Ctrl+Alt+Esc
Compaq - F10
Compaq Presario - Press Alt Ctrl Esc at boot when you see the "Compaq" log in big letters
Dell - F1 or Del.
Gateway 2000 - F1
Hewlett Packard - F1
IBM
Older Models - In order to get into the configuration of the IBM setup screen (CMOS) screen you need to hold down both mouse buttons during boot-up.
Aptiva - Press F1
Leading Edge Fortiva 5000 - Ctrl Alt A or Ctrl Alt S
NEC - F2
Packard Bell - F1 or F2
Sharp Laptop 9020 - F2
Sony - F3, then F2, or F1
Tandon computers - Hold down the esc key after turning on power
Toshiba Laptops - Toshiba Utility

Try that it will get u into the BIOS than IF you know what you are doing disable the onboard video.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya, i know how to get into the BIOS, i hit del or f2 but then once i am in i dont know where to disable it... there is a video config, under advanced but the only options you can pick are the vid memory size and if its agp or pci, and then there is a buffer size too... right now it is at 64mbs, AGP, 16mb...

its here: http://developer.intel.com/design/motherbd/bf/bf_bios.htm

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im not at home right now, so i can't check but i will when i get home, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh yah dont know if it makes of difference or not, but when i install the vid card and plug the moniter in everything works until i install the drivers.... it works but the graphics are all low and default ....

i have tried with both the onboard graphics card drivers installed and with them not installed....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ok did you do all of this
Before you open your computer the first thing you should do is remove your video driver for the video card that is currently installed in your computer. This is done in 'Device Manager'

Next, shut down and unplug your computer. Unplug the monitor from the back of the computer, remove the case, and find the Video Card. If you don't know which one is the Video Card, find the one the monitor plugs into. That's it. Unscrew or unclip the screw that fastens it to the computer. Pull the card from its slot. PCI and AGP cards are easier to remove than VLB.

This step only applies if your computer has on-board video. Some computers don't have a Video Card. In this case, you must disable the on-board video before installing a separate card. Refer to your motherboard's manual for this directions on how to do this. Most systems with on-board video have a small switch or jumper to set that disables this. Next, pick the slot you are going to use for the card, and remove the dust cover from the back of the computer.

Now you insert the new card. Move any cables out of the way. Position the card over the slot, with the monitor connection facing the back of the computer. It may help to insert one side of the card first, then the other. Don't be afraid to push. It sometimes takes some force to get the card in. Just use your own judgment. Don't break anything.

Fasten the screw down into place to secure the card. The screw just needs to be snug. You don't want to strip it.

Put the case back on, reattach the monitor cable, plug it in, and turn it on. If you hear 3 beeps when you turn on you computer your video card is not 'seated' properly in the slot

It should work just fine if you have a newer PNP card. Next, follow the instructions on the driver diskette to install the drivers. If you use a Windows OS , your system might detect the hardware and request the disk be inserted. If this happens, you did a good job putting it in. Now simply follow the on-screen instructions, and enjoy your new Video Card!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.