Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I accidentally clicked an email in outlook express that was supposedly from Microsoft that had an attachment. Since then I have not been able to run the Norton antivirus software. When I start the computer, I get an error message and the Norton does not start up. When I try to click on live update or just open Norton I get an error message. The message says "Memory access violation in module kernel32at 2433:46132449". I don't know what that means. I went to the symantec website and ran their online virus and trojan horse scan and it came up as no files are infected. I currently have no protection as I can not get Norton to run. Can anyone help me?

And now my incoming email is going nuts! I've got a ton of refused emails bouncing back that I did not send.

OK, it's ovious I have a virus. How do I identify the virus? If I can identify it I can download the tools to fix it.

The following is an email that was refused from someone that is not even on my email list:

Our virus detector has just been triggered by a message you sent:-
To: [email protected]
Subject: Current Security Upgrade
Date: Tue Sep 23 14:22:00 2003

One or more of the attachments (UPGRADE63.exe) are on
the list of unacceptable attachments for this site and will not have
been delivered.

Consider renaming the files or putting them into a "zip" file to avoid
this constraint.

The virus detector said this about the message:
Report: Executable DOS/Windows programs are dangerous in email (UPGRADE63.exe)

Thank you

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
You were "nailed" for sure, as M$ doesn't send emails (except requested newsletters). Once you find the critter, all of these sites have tools to remove it. Please remember that these critters can leave a lot of stuff around, even when they are removed, so if you have anything less than complete success, get back to us here, and we'll make some suggestions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It turns out I had the A32.swen virus. I found out when an email that the virus sent out hit one of our vendors and it bounced back telling me that their system identified this virus in an attachment. From there I just downloaded the removal tool from Syamantec and all seems fine now. I also ran scans just to be sure.

Thanks for the help guys!

MikeH

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.